Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, March 10, 2014

What's Working Now

Routine. Schedule. I cannot wait for a stomach growl to eat, then eat what I want, stop when comfortably full, then wait for the next growl. It works. Others have done it. I cannot.

Having my thyroid issue as a backup explanation for what I weigh has been counterproductive. I do think it contributes and it has been pretty discouraging for me lately. I think an overactive thyroid (Grave's Disease) can help with weight loss but I also thinks it makes a person hungrier due to the thyroid running hot.

I was thinking about my anxiety when I start getting hungry and how hard it is to wait. I thought about how I have fasted for 24 hours - I had decided ahead of time that this was what I was going to do and there was no anxiety and the wringing of the hands over eating so there was not the screaming hunger. I decided I was going to start eating at 6 a.m., noon, and 6 p.m. I have decided ahead of time this is my routine, my schedule. I have been doing well and losing weight. There hasn't been the anxiety that there is while I try to wait for a stomach growl. It's weird though. My stomach has growled and I have waited for my schedule time to eat a meal without the anxiety. Anybody got an explanation for that one? I do eat what is good and what I like but these days it's what is also the right thing to eat. I eat until I am full. I do like to feel full when I am done with a meal so I include things that will make that happen. When I was on Weight Watchers I would eat the meal I had planned but then would still be hungry. I have also never been good at leaving food on my plate. I would rather use a smaller plate that looks full and then eat all of it.

I also think one of the problems I create is buying too much food ahead of time. Even though it is good food I feel like it needs to be eaten before it must be thrown out. I wonder how much produce I have thrown out in my lifetime? I'll get too much cooked ahead of time and there it is in the refrigerator ready to go bad if I don't eat. it. I just like to buy food. This is an issue I need to evaluate and deal with.

Can I get an "Amen"?


9 comments:

  1. Hi Myra! I HIGHLY recommend picking up 1-2 of these:

    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Progressive-reg-Collapsible-Lettuce-Keeper/1018366380?categoryId=12606

    They are the best thing EVER for keeping fresh produce fresh and mold-free! Items that go bad in 2-3 days look AWESOME and fresh after even 7 days! I keep one for fruit, one for veggies. My red grapes are on day 8 and no one would know I didn't buy them yesterday!

    Re the stomach hunger, I've read and believe from personal experience that I stay more sates/less hungry when I'm not eating any grains at all. I can fast from a lunch to breakfast the next morning without any stomach hunger. I don't have any thyroid issues (that I know of) though, so I don't know if that plays a part. Not sure how much grains you eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat very few grains. I do have a Raisin Bran muffin each morning for breakfast but have tweaked the recipe by using all whole wheat flour and all stevia for the sugar. I stopped buying the box of Raisin Bran that the recipe called for because the raisins are really coated in sugar. I get a box of bran flakes and then a box of plain raisins. I use 1/3 cup of batter for each muffin. I figure I have gone to carbs with a lower glycemic index even though I realize they are still carbs. The recipe has butter and eggs and walnuts in it so I think this is a pretty good way to start the day. After the muffin at breakfast my carbs are fruits and vegetables. I tried Atkins once and did not like being tired, the terrible taste in my mouth, and the horrid breath - all this due to ketosis even though I was drinking water. I don't think my anxiety hunger is due to grains because when I do what I have been doing lately there is no anxiety. I think it's the uncertainty of if and when my stomach will growl. I am the dumbest smart person I know when it comes to eating :-) Be careful out there today.

      Delete
    2. Oh - and thanks for the recommendation for the fruit and vegetable keepers. I will check into that. I have also heard that wrapping these items in tin foil makes them last longer.

      Delete
  2. Waiting until I'm hungry to eat? What the heck is that?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! It doesn't sound like it should be all that hard but for me it is torture. I have to be committed to the routine and be on a schedule. I guess years of being out of control with the binge has destroyed that part of my brain. I am not good at recognizing true hunger. I have mouth hunger and head hunger a lot - so this is what I must do. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I'm reading a good book by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff and he mentions that by waiting for that signal of a stomach growl you are setting yourself up for over indulging or losing control. You might never have that kind of hunger. It made sense to me. http://www.weightymatters.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense to me because logically it would seem that would be the way to go as a growl means you are totally empty but emotionally it can be a real trap. I just can't trust myself. It irks me but it is what it is. Take care.

      Delete
  4. It seems there are always going to be things about ourselves that we just can't trust and have to figure out and deal with in ways that work best for us. For me, this happens to be dealing with manipulative people. I go into it thinking that I can handle things and that I shouldn't be so sensitive. I know intellectually how I should deal with things and yet somehow along the way I end up doing all the things I know I shouldn't- enabling behavior, making excuses, etc. It is a well worn path for me. And so, even though it drives me nuts and sometimes I think I am possibly missing out on some people who might be interesting and deep personalities outside of their manipulative behavior, I just cannot allow myself to get close to true manipulators.
    I am not someone who thinks that people are all or nothing and I try to be careful about finding the balance with people. I don't like to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'. However, when that balance is tipped to find me knowing deep inside that a person is really more interested in manipulating me rather than really asking me for what they want or getting to know who I really am, then I must admit to myself that it's not good for me and it just won't work. Dealing with unhealthy relationships in an unhealthy way is certainly one of the biggest things that sent me into overeating.
    Although I wish vehemently that I was able to work around certain personalities and not internalize so much, I do admit that certain patterns can really send me into a tailspin and that is for me to deal with in a way that works for me. That means I don't deal with manipulation for long at all. I send it packing! Sadly, that means saying goodbye to people sometimes. While my method is not the perfect answer, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's your coping mechanism and you are aware of what works for you then I say it's a healthy thing. That's a lot better than diving into a bag of cookies or a bottle of alcohol. Every person on the planet has an issue or two that they battle. Yours is being manipulated and mine is overeating. There are worse things and sometimes we have to be thankful for what we DON'T have to deal with. Be careful out there today.

      Delete