Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, March 8, 2014

Got Milk?

This article answered my questions about dairy. It also addresses the Food Pyramid. I have read in other places that dairy products create a phlegm-like substance in the bowels which this doctor doesn't mention. I have also read that humans are the only ones who continue to drink mother's milk after infancy - and then we drink cow's milk (which is for calves).  I recommend you read this and consider your dairy intake.

I am more for moderation. I just gave up cream in my coffee and am getting used to drinking it black. I can do it. My half/half was very low carb but high fat so it needed to go anyway. I don't eat cereal so that eliminates that milk. I don't drink milk with meals. My dairy is from infrequent cheese and my Greek yogurt. I am not going to give up my Greek yogurt. It is my dessert. I get some of my home made Greek yogurt and add some All Fruit topping which is low in carbs and some stevia and it is like ice cream. As soon as this jar of the topping is gone I am going to add fresh fruit and stevia to the Greek yogurt. I put up the recipe for it a while back. I did work with a person who said she drank milk to quench thirst.

I know the Paleo Plan does not include milk. I consider myself low-carb with Paleo leanings. 

Will your dairy intake change as a result of this information?

10 comments:

  1. You can be Primal:) It's Paleo with dairy! Thanks for your support today Myra. You are awesome. And I'm fine thanks <3 xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I will look into the Primal way of eating. That post from Anonymous went right through me - I got all maternal didn't I? It was one of those comments that the longer I typed the madder I got :-) Take care.

      Delete
  2. I've actually had to give up yogurt because after an elimination diet and reintro, I found it to be inflammatory for me. That made me sad. I have also switched to goat cheese, which I seem to be able tolerate and coconut milk in my coffee (when I don't drink it black). I think that we each need to figure out what works for ourselves. I do agree with Leigh that you can look into the Primal lifestyle if you are looking for Paleo with dairy....but honestly it's just labels, right? Do what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't go too much for elimination completely of a food group without a lot of information. This was pretty good information with research and footnotes so I felt it was pretty reliable. Yes - do what works for you. Dietary recommendations change so often and the information comes from people with letters behind their names so there is no science that is settled IMHO. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Myra, this article came at a very good time, and I AM going to give up dairy, or at least try that...as a result. I might be morphing from primal into paleo. We will see. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do see the advantages of giving up dairy. I am going to cut back somewhat - I wasn't consuming all that much. It's hard to give up things we enjoy but we have given up other things as we have gotten healthier. Food is just food and we have to learn the best way to go for us in light of what we want to achieve. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I like this author and his views on Dairy:

    http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/11/30/is-dairy-healthy-or-not

    For me, I don't drink milk any more. I used to be OK with it, although I didn't love it, but lately drinking much of it tends to make me feel queasy. I am somewhat confused on the bone health issue (I don't have osteoporosis, but I do have osteopenia so I'm interested in this). I read a lot that is conflicted on this. However, I do like cheese so most of the calcium that I get is from lowfat or nonfat cheese. I generally have some on most days. Cheese doesn't bother me. I like ice cream and frozen yogurt but don't eat it often, maybe once a month or two. I don't care for yogurt though so that isn't a temptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to joke around about what we were going to live up for Lent and say something like liver which I hate. It sounds like going without dairy wouldn't be too much of a hardship for you and that's good. If you have osteopenia you certainly must educate yourself on bone health. There was a very petite woman in my jazzercise class who told me about the osteoporosis in her family and she was doing the weight bearing exercise to prevent hers from worsening. She said that people thought when a person with osteoporosis fell the hip broke as a result of the fall but she said the break had occurred in her grandmother and then she fell. That's how brittle her bones were. You don't want anything to do with that! Take care.

      Delete
  5. It won't change my dairy consumption at all. What this guy is saying is at odds with a whole lot of other doctors. There are a lot of nutrients in milk. Heck, you can link about anything to any disease if you want to. Color me unconvinced. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His work is researched and footnoted. I think he made the point that those nutrients in milk can be gotten from other foods. I figure people have been drinking and consuming dairy products for years and lived a long time so we each have to decide based on reliable information what route we want to take. Be careful out there today.

      Delete