Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, March 31, 2014

Can You Do This?

Throw out food.

My post about abstinence/temperance got me thinking about the situation where we have eaten a substantial amount of brownies and then feel like we should finish off the pan before anyone finds out we made them in the first place. Why isn't one of the choices to throw out the rest (after drizzling them with dish soap if necessary)? When did food become such an idol that we feel like we must eat it rather than throw it away? I get a tight feeling in my chest at the thought of throwing out food :-)

I have poured a bottle of wine down the sink because I knew if I didn't I would drink it all. I have told the story before about the Christmas candy, cookies, etc., I got at school one year. I stopped on the way home and threw it all in a trash can on Main Street. It never made it home. Sometimes it is easier to do things like this than it is at other times.

I haven't had young children around much for a while. My two nieces (Hailie - 10 and Madison - 3) have been staying all night on Monday nights because Madison goes to Bible Study Fellowship with me on Tuesday mornings. I have caught myself cleaning up their plates if they don't eat everything. Bad idea.

Are we really concerned about tossing out a few bites of food or do we just fool ourselves that those few bites don't count or that it's like wasting money if we buy food and then throw some of it out? Isn't it also wasting food if we eat it only to have it stored as fat?

It's another game - we get to eat something and it shows we are frugal and don't waste any food if we eat it rather than throw it out. It's a public service really. Being thrifty trumps being healthy.

How easy is it for you to throw out food? Do you have any strategies concerning this?



9 comments:

  1. I've had to learn to do it, and it still feels weird/wrong. My parents were children of the Great Depression, and it's ingrained in me not to "waste" -- that, and they really heaped food upon me and my younger brother (who became obese as a 3rd grader, enjoyed about two years of being slim and fit in his early 20s, then returned to obesity -- he's now 43; I was chunky, lost a good deal of weight at age 12, 17, 25; only to gain it back + more every time until I Stopped Being Fat at age 38) because our older brother had a terminal illness and a poor appetite...so our willingness to eat was encouraged.

    Food was abundant, and food was not to be thrown away (of course, my parents each ate one small meal a day and lived on coffee and cigs otherwise...my brother and I were enthusiastically urged to eat more while at the same time being criticized for our weights -- not in an abusive way, but there were occasional comments of "concern," followed by admonitions to "take a little more" of dinner).

    As a parent myself, I used to finish all my kids' leftover bites. I no longer do, but I find myself wanting to give that stuff to the dogs rather than toss it in the trash.

    It will something I have to be conscious of forever. My kids KNOW when to stop eating. My dogs do not, and it would be very easy for me to forget when to stop eating.

    CONSTANT VIGILANCE! Every bite counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obesity is rampant in my family but I cannot let that be my excuse for eating like obese people eat. I catch myself eating past full especially when out with friends. I have paid for that meal and if there's too little to take home I just go ahead and over-ride my better judgment. It's a battle I will always have to fight. At home I usually just make the right amount so I can eat it all and that decision doesn't have to be made. I eat too fast and it's easy to be past full before the sensation of having had enough occurs. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. Interesting post! I have a couple granddaughters that have spent many hours per week in our home over the years. Neither has a weight problem yet, as both are fairly active. What I've noticed is their eating patterns. One has a real sweet tooth and can't say no to sugary desserts and potatoes. The other one doesn't eat potatoes at all. She isn't weight conscious, she just doesn't like them in any form including French fries. Her only real sugar vice is chocolate. If we have vanilla ice-cream in the house, she can turn it down. I've been trying to provide healthier alternatives when the grandkids are over at our house. Foods like fresh avocados, mixed nuts, grape tomatoes, strawberries, stuff like that. But if there is sugary anything in the house, the one granddaughter always will find it. The wife and I have opposing points of view sometimes on why we keep buying that crap *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If their diet is basically healthy I wouldn't fret too much. I have a niece who stays with me once a week and I have been teaching her to cook and to read labels concerning nutrition. We get into the "good food-bad food" a little too much I think. Just set a good example and tell them why you eat as you do and have healthy alternatives around and they will probably choose a lot of the healthier items. You are right, however, if it isn't there it will probably be best for all concerned. Take care.

      Delete
  3. when eating out i just figure i'll be taking half home... makes it easier not to eat so much and i'll have something yummy for another meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the strategies for The Weigh Down Workshop that I have been a part of. She says when eating out, cut the food in half and get it ready to go home before even starting the meal. Good tip! Take care.

      Delete
  4. I'm very lucky that I've never been a binge eater. I've always been able to pull the trigger, even if it was a little too late. Never felt the need to throw anything out because I'd finish it all in one sitting if I didn't.

    But yes, we were taught to eat everything on our plates, and not waste food...kids were starving in Africa. (seriously we were told that all through childhood.) I guess it's a remnant from that...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you don't have the binge eating battle because it is a source of suffering for many of us. The starving kids in Africa will not benefit from us overeating but of course as children we didn't realize that. We would have gotten in trouble if we had said, "Box it up and send it to them then". Parents evidently get a memo each day of where there are starving children. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  5. In order to keep great shape you have to develop healthy eating habits. I’ve read somewhere that even if you attend gym every day but keep eating junk food – you are wasting your time. Lots of useful advices on proper nutrition I have found here http://bit.ly/1gM5EyX. They provide special tips for women and lots of motivative ideas!

    ReplyDelete