Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, March 13, 2014

Breath

There's a faulty pronoun reference here. It's the retired teacher in me. I notice these things.

My doctor prescribed an additional BP Medication at my last visit. I am going to stop taking it due to the side effects. It is hydroclorthiazide (sp?) It's technically a BP medicine but has diuretic effects. My feet and ankles were really swollen two nights in a row. I lost 6 lb. from one morning to the next. I haven't been able to keep up in my exercise classes. I went to the gym intending to go to a body pump class but felt bad and just went back home. I was helping my son in the yard taking small branches back to a pile for chipping and could hardly make it up the small incline back to the house. I have been having leg cramps at night. I already take cardura for BP and it took a long time to find a BP medication that didn't have awful side effects.

I am going to try Body Pump again on Thursday morning. Hopefully I will feel like doing it. I sure won't be taking that little pill.

Remember if we blame somebody else we eliminate our ability to change. 

Hope all of you are well.




6 comments:

  1. Yes, it should be "someone takes *his* last"...it's the Grammar Nazi in me. ;)

    Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic that is prescribed for blood pressure that is caused by fluid retention -- my mother was given it for her congestive heart failure (CHF caused her to have terribly swollen ankles/feet) -- it should have you running to the bathroom all day to expel excess water. Even today, some less-than-100%-ethical practitioners will prescribe it for short-term weight loss (e.g., an athlete who needs to make weight to qualify for an event). How many mg are you taking? 25? As far as I can recall, it is relatively free of side effects -- much less so than the newer/more advanced BP meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only taking 12.5 mg. You wouldn't believe how long it took to find this one BP medication I am on. One family of medicines gave me a terrible cough. I couldn't even carry on a conversation for coughing. Another family of medicines didn't work and even this one only keeps my BP in the 140's/150's over the 80's/90's. I have told my doctor how this hydrochlorothiazide makes me feel and am waiting on a reply. I am doing a little research on natural diuretics and found lemon juice recommended at several sites. Garlic, honey, and ACV have also been mentioned. I gained 1.6 lb. from yesterday morning to this morning. It is maddening but I will keep looking for the solution. I will try to kick up the water intake a little as well. How is the new job going? Be careful out there today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. When my 2nd bp med started making my feet balloons, I had to get off it but that made me research for SOMETHING to lose more weight to bring my bp to controllable levels; hence Wheat Belly then Primal then Paleo. It worked. I went from 2 bp pills and still uncontrolled to 1/4 of one now and with a low bp. I hope you get an answer soon. It sucks royally when you need a med but they all cause unbearable symptoms. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a real emotional roller coaster. Emotional eaters don't need the uncertainty of wondering if it's thyroid, BP meds, or eating. I am eating well but don't have the reinforcement of a weight that reflects that. I do have the emotions under control I will say. This shows tremendous progress because in the past a 1.6 lb. gain from one morning to the next for no good reason would have really thrown me. I know I am eating well. I am just going to have to keep searching for what works. I am learning patience. I know there is an answer - I just have to find it. BP meds have been a real nightmare. Be careful out there today. I feel better already today not having taken the hydrochlorothiazide this morning..

      Delete
  4. Good for you, for taking charge of your health and doing what you need to. Sometimes people just do whatever the doctor says and it doesn't always work out. With how active you are and your thoughtfulness to your diet, I can't imagine that your blood pressure is still a problem. Those darn genetics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Tuesday and my BP was really bad this morning - 180's on the top and over 100 on the bottom. I felt bad and didn't think I could go to Bible Study Fellowship but got to feeling better. It's afternoon now and the bottom number and my pulse are better but the top number is still in the 180's. I have an appointment on Friday. Take care.

      Delete