Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, March 27, 2014

Are We Fat Rats or Slim Rats?

So what? This is my answer to articles such as this.

We still have to play the hand we are dealt. I could see myself in the past reading something like this and thinking, "Aha!"  Just what I thought. It's not my fault after all. I guess these studies serve some purpose but I am still on the side of personal responsibility and accountability. We can use this information however we choose - to validate whichever "rat" we are. I remember reading an observation made by some people watching children during recess. The slimmer students moved more during recess while eating about the same amount as the overweight students. Duh.

We are getting to the bottom of my issues with blood pressure and thyroid. I went to the doctor not too long ago and was given hydrochlorothiazide - a diuretic. Well, I swelled up, had leg cramps at night, racing heart, and was very weak - couldn't keep up at my exercise classes and didn't even feel like going. I stopped taking it. I told the doctor and they said to get right in there. He tried to tell me since hydro-- was a diuretic that wasn't the cause of all this - my skin was really tight on my feet and ankles from the swelling. I told him that was the only thing that had changed. So I was given another BP med. The lower number on my BP reading was around 100 most of the time. My heart rate was so high (156 last Saturday) that I had double vision for a time. My heart rate was consistently over 100 all weekend. I was dangerously close to a stroke.

Yesterday I went back to the doctor and he did an EKG and discovered I was in atrial fibrillation. I was kind of relieved to find out what the problem was so we knew what to treat. I am now on yet another BP med. to slow my heart rate and the generic of Coumadin (blood thinner) to protect me from a stroke. Hopefully this will get my heart back in rhythm or we have to have a cardiologist do something. I may have to go back to work after all. I go back Monday for a Pro-Time check (did I get that spelled correctly?) and will go back to the doctor in a month for a follow-up.

I read up on a-fib and found on the list of causes high blood pressure and thyroid issues - that's me.

I haven't been blogging because all this has caused a weight gain - I lost 8 lb. within just a few days between doctor visits - which means I gained that and more. I also haven't had much energy. This weight thing really messes with my head. Even if we know the reason for the gain it is disturbing. At the beginning of the year I was so excited and was going to get to goal weight. I am going to have to get this heart thing resolved before that can happen.

Hope all of you are well.

10 comments:

  1. Bummer, I do hope you get your heart issues worked out soon. It's gotta be frustrating and a bit scary, too. I remember some years ago having to wear a Holtor monitor for a few days due to a murmur but nothing ever came of it, they found nothing. Still those couple days I was worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was praying God's protection from a stroke or heart attack last Saturday during the double vision episode. All the complications from a stroke went through my mind - the loss of the use of my body was a biggie. It's a terrifying thought to be trapped in a body that doesn't work and won't do what you want and need it to do. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading an article once about how not getting enough sleep can cause weight problems. Well of course, THAT was it! I get 5-6 hours a night, that must be why I was having problems! We grasp on to whatever excuse we can, don't we? But...deep down we know better. I know how scary a fib can be, I went to the ER with it last summer. Glad you're getting to the bottom of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel better already. The readings are gradually getting to normal. These past few days have not been fun. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Oh my God you poor thing! I had a bout of a heart rate up to 90 or so a few weeks ago from OTC non-drowsy antihistamine, and it scared the crap out of me. I'm glad you are staying on top of this, and I will pray for your improved health, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely appreciate prayer. I pray for the faith that moves God. Remember the woman with the bleeding problem who believed that if she could only touch the robe of Jesus she would be healed. She touched His robe and He turned and told her that her faith had made her well. The Roman Centurion with the slave he was worried about was told his faith was the healing. The blind and deaf are other examples. It was their faith. I pray to Jesus for such faith because He intercedes for us. I want the kind of faith that can move God. Too many people take the attitude of, "Heal me, and then I will believe". That is exactly backwards. Be careful out there today. I only ask people to pray for me who believe. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Oh Myra. I am so sorry:( Prayers for you and your health. Keep being proactive and everything will take care of itself. I am confident:) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leigh. Your prayers and support are precious. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, Myra! I am so happy to see that you are still well and improving. I know the idea of losing any ability to function would be so scary. You are not the type to give up and I know you won't. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to get this resolved soon so I can feel better and have some energy once more. Take care.

      Delete