Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, February 13, 2014

Storms

You can't calm the storm, so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself.  The storm will pass.
- Timber Hawkeye

Exactly how does one calm oneself? Drinking, drugs, and a binge come to mind. These things don't solve anything do they? They just add another storm.

I've often wondered why I immediately think of overeating if I don't get good news at a weigh in. What in my pea brain makes me think that is a productive way to deal with anything? I must have made that connection way back in my childhood when eating was associated with love and/or comfort.

When our storms pass how much clean up is there to do? The storm passed and it would have passed whether we had decided to trash the house or whether we had decided to protect it.

I guess we all need some insurance don't we? How can we protect what we have worked so hard to achieve? Why on earth would someone take the time and put in the money for a nice house (or body) and then trash it or leave it unprotected? We can protect ourselves by keeping our environments safe. We wouldn't leave an electric heater near the drapes would we? Let's not keep trigger foods in the house either. I know it can sometimes be difficult with others in the house - try this - have an inviting bowl of fruit in the middle of the table and see if it's not eaten without passing it by for junk. Make them hunt for the junk as you gradually wean them off of it by buying less and less and less until they don't realize what you've done.

There will be storms but we shouldn't be the cause of them. If we ask our families for help by not having the junk around we might be surprised at their willingness to help. The storm doesn't have to be a Category 5 or a Level 3 emergency of our own doing. I know when we were little my Mom would get a package of donuts and a 6-pack of cokes on payday. When it was gone, it was gone. We couldn't afford anymore. With 4 kids you can imagine how long it lasted. If we are honest concerning the grocery shopping, the candy, cookies, cakes, and pies aren't really for the kids or the husband - it's stuff that we want and like.

Have you ever noticed that when we let one thing slip, it's easier to let other things slide? For example, we decide we are tired or not in the mood to exercise so we don't. In my case thinking of travel time and the time spent in the class I now have about 2 hours of time on my hands. I am not a naturally active, can't sit still type of person. Staying active is a part of my insurance policy (it costs extra). Those two hours go from burning calories and getting fit to having time on my hands in the house where the kitchen is. The hardest part of exercising is getting started at home or showing up at the gym. I notice hunger more when I have time on my hands to think about it. This day probably will not end well if it goes like other days like this go. Now I probably overeat and won't exercise again tomorrow because I will feel sluggish and depressed. 

Clouds and wind don't always mean there's a storm coming - maybe just a challenge. Let's not over react or be a drama queen. We can deal with these things without trashing everything.


6 comments:

  1. I always love your perspective! And this is no different. AND you've managed to throw in some good advice.
    I really like the idea of a nice house/body that we need to protect. And I'm utilizing the fruit idea myself by putting cut up fruit in small portions in the fridge for my husband to grab when he just wants something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense we should take care of EVERYTHING we own including our bodies. Our bodies are more valuable to us than our homes but then we could make the assertion that our bodies are our homes. If your husband sees wonderful strawberries or fresh green grapes he will grab them. I have been getting some wonderful navel oranges this year. My husband will eat bananas and tangerines. Have you tasted kiwi? They are great. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I think that when a person gives themselves a chance to deal with an emotion without food, that they learn how to handle a lot of things. It's one lesson at a time, until most main issues get worked out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long, hard road. I have worked for years to get to where I am and still will return to old habits if I am not careful. It is such a knee-jerk response that sometimes we have made the wrong choices before giving ourselves a chance to deal with things more constructively. This isn't for sissies!

      Delete
  3. Great post! As a former Arkansan I have seen first hand the effects of a devastating storm. My brother's house was literally swept away down the bluff. But in the aftermath we didn't sit around and eat and bemoan his fate, we were out at sunrise cleaning up an when we finished cleaning up, we started rebuilding. He has a prettier home than he had before and 6 years later he has two sons. It is amazing! Love this connection to how we deal with the storms of life. TY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we don't have any more problems we will be dead won't we? There's nothing to do but get at setting things right when the storm has passed - we just shouldn't make the storm worse should we? Take care.

      Delete