Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, February 20, 2014

So Much For Flow And People Watching

I didn't like the body flow class. We started with these tai chi moves to warm up. We did balancing things which I am horrible at (shows I should be doing it I imagine), and it was pretty much all stretching and balancing. I will not make a point to go to that class again. I am thinking of working on balance here at home. I felt like a cow on crutches.

There was a distraction in the class. I tried not to stare at him too much but one of the students was a black man who wore black sweats and a black long sleeved shirt and black winter gloves. He had on a toboggan looking cap that was rolled around the bottom that went around his head over a black scarf. He had a chain hanging around his waist and this stainless still shark's tooth looking thing coming out of his lower lip in addition to other piercings. This is how he exercised. To each his own.

The body pump class led by the woman with little personality was really full. These were people who had probably worked all day and so the tone was completely different from the morning body pump class I took. It was more "stiff".

I went to the body pump class with the man I liked this morning. There was one woman there who talked a lot and laughed at her own comments which really weren't funny. She had something to say all the time so she was the center of attention. She wasn't annoying but needed to be noticed I guess.

I've noticed in both body pump classes how people drop their weights to show everybody how hard they just worked and were maxed out.

Do you like to people watch in your classes? Have you noticed anything interesting about exercising behaviors and group dynamics?

I had a root canal done today - $585. I will have a crown on that tooth done on March 5 - $730.

I will have step aerobics tomorrow morning and Saturday morning. It's all good. Take care.

8 comments:

  1. Anyone who can follow up the painful information about a root canal with "It's all good" is a special kind of person!

    You're certainly getting exposure to many kinds of exercises, aren't you? I don't think I've exercised in a group since homeschooling our youngest daughter! She and I took an aerobic class and counted it as her physical education. I THINK that was my last group exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would fit right in to a group exercise class with your personality! Do it! Take care.

      Delete
  2. I'm a people watcher at everything and yet I also can totally ignore everyone and just focus on me. I used to go to a gym that had bodyflow and I liked it, but it sounds like it depends on the teacher, I fall in to being what I call 'the space police'--people take up too much space or position their matts off kilter with everyone else, so less people have a decent spot...that's the ocd shining through I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In any class people have their "spots" where they always set up for exercise. I know I always go to the same spot in my classes and it doesn't feel right if somebody takes "my" spot. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hi Myra, for balancing, it is just that your body has not developed those balancing muscles. If you work them, you'll be amazed with how nice your balance can get. I think it changed my feelings about myself when I got more balanced. I feel more coordinated and graceful. It's a nice feeling that you'd like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I need to work on balance. I can pull up a YouTube video on my laptop and work on it which is what I plan to do. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Funny post! I've never thought to look around and people watch while in an exercise class, but yes- there are those people who just scream for attention in some way and you can't help but notice them.
    I really prefer dance classes and don't bother with exercise classes too much. I also get a ton of weight resistance and aerobic type exercise in with all the organization and moving I've been doing for the past decade for several of my clients. I will miss those free workouts when they're gone.
    Balance is so, so, so important for longevity. I see the people in my dance club who are 80 plus and one couple who just turned 90 and their maintenance of balance makes them totally different from others in their peer age group. Try balancing on one foot with your eyes closed. Simple and yet amazing at how doing that can change your balance ability. I had to do this when rehabbing from a vestibular issue. I have always been a dancer and that issue literally rocked my world and made realize how much balance is an indicator of quality and expected length of life, due to risk factors such as falling.
    You're an awesome lady and you need to be around for a long time- if for no other reason than the positive influence you have on others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I do like to feel like I help others even if it is through making fun of myself and relating my observations. I will try the balancing on one leg with my eyes closed. Hopefully I won't fall and get a concussion :-) Take care.

      Delete