Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Setpoint Theory

Setpoint is another term thrown around a lot in the weight loss world. I agree with this guy. Our setpoint can be within a range depending on the lifestyle we have chosen.

I have told people at times when they are very small and are having trouble maintaining such a low weight that if they have to fight to stay there perhaps they have chosen a number that is too low for them. We can certainly go too low for health. Look at the models. Those clothes might as well be on a hanger.

How do we determine a healthy weight for us? The height and weight charts? The Army has to waive its weight requirements for my son Nathan due to his muscle. He is out of the weight range for his height. The muscle weighs more than fat argument works here but like this - if we would take a cubic foot of fat and a cubic foot of muscle the muscle would weigh more than the fat. I think Nathan is 17% body fat.

There are people who are at a normal weight and they don't even know it or care about it. They intuitively know when to eat and when to stop eating. They don't pay attention to what they eat. If pizza sounds good, that's what they have. If a salad sounds good, they have that. Many of them never weigh themselves. I am not anticipating being like that.

I think most of us know the weight that is right for us. It is not based on a chart. We have been at that weight, felt good, and looked good.

That's our setpoint.






6 comments:

  1. Yep. We know when we are feeling healthy and our clothes look and feel comfortable. We also know when we are above or below that. Setpoint. We all have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems anxious people are looking for things like setpoint, muscle weighing more than fat, and starvation mode to deal with the situation. Those who have waged this battle for years are unsure about the whole thing and need such helps to cope. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I actually don't know if I know my setpoint, but I think I will when I get there? I've never been normal in terms of weight in my adult life, but I think I'll know where I need to be when I stop feeling uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll know when you are comfortable with your body and the size you are wearing. It's not really anything to worry about. We all have some time to think about it. We can use the height and weight charts as a general guide. I know I was pretty skinny at the top of the range for my height when I was in Weight Watchers. It's nothing to stress about for sure. Take care.

      Delete
  3. While I do think there is something to certain 'setpoints', I won't use it as an excuse. Sure some weights are easier to maintain than others, but it sure was funny that I was certainly able to never let myself cross the 200 lb. mark so I know I have control over this more than just hitting certain setpoints that my body feels a bit comfortable in. And it seems that we ought to try adjusting our thoughts and feelings to trying out certain points and seeing how healthy we feel before we just give up and say our bodies won't let us weigh less. Not all setpoints are at higher weights, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We just "muddy the water" sometimes I think with all these rationales and theories about what we should weigh. Take care.

      Delete