Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, February 17, 2014

How To Make WONDERFUL Greek Yogurt

I have been making my own Greek yogurt. You will think you are eating ice cream.

I doubled the following recipe because with the size pots I used I needed more liquid so the tip of the thermometer would be in the milk.

1/2 gallon milk - I used the organic, whole milk - you can however, just use whole milk.
2 - 3 Tbsp. plain yogurt
2 c. dry milk
8 - 10 qt. stock pot
4 - 5 qt. pot with lid
metal or plastic spoon
thermometer with clip
heating pad

Place larger pot on stove on high. Add milk to smaller pot. There should be enough water in the larger pot to come halfway up side of smaller pot. My smaller pot had handles on it that sat on the sides of the larger pot keeping the smaller pot in the right position. You are making a double boiler. Clip thermometer to inside of smaller pot with the tip covered in the milk. The burner should be on high and the milk should be stirred regularly. Bring the milk to 185 degrees and hold it there for 1/2 hour. Once 185 was reached I turned the heat down to about 7 and then to about 4 or 5 and that worked pretty well. My stove goes from 1 - 10 on the burner heat. Your stove may work differently. The timing begins when the milk reaches 185 degrees.

After 1/2 hour place the smaller pot with the milk in it in a sink of cold water with ice cubes to reduce the heat to 110 degrees. At this point add the yogurt and the dry milk and stir until thoroughly mixed. Set the pot on a heating pad on medium  for 7 hours, cover with the pot lid and a towel to keep it dark. After 7 hours you will have yogurt. There is one more step to make it Greek yogurt.

I line a colander with cheese cloth - make sure it drapes over the sides - I made it a couple layers thick. Pour the yogurt into the colander that has been suspended over a bowl to catch the whey. I bring the cheese cloth up around the yogurt and secure it with a rubber band. I place this in the refrigerator overnight, covered.

In the morning you will have wonderful Greek yogurt. I use my own fruits and flavorings. There are some NSA pie fillings and some sugar free jellies and all fruit ice cream toppings that are low carb. You could flavor with vanilla, honey, pure maple syrup, agave syrup, stevia or whatever suits your taste. I have saved some old yogurt containers with lids and put a heaping tablespoon of fruit in the bottom, then add yogurt. I add stevia when I eat the yogurt. I canned some apples last year and cooked them with some stevia and cinnamon and used that and I made a cranberry salad that was great in it. I am anxious to hear your ideas for the fruit part.

The whey can be used in baking. It can be used in place of buttermilk but will make things wetter.

If you try this let me know how it worked for you. This made almost 20 individual yogurt containers. You could just "make as you go" and keep the yogurt in a large container and try different ways to flavor it.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I eat Greek yogurt nearly every day. I cut up fresh fruit and mix some yogurt in with it. I had no idea how to make my own. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really anxious to hear how it worked for you and if you liked it. I don't think you will want the store bought stuff anymore. Take care.

      Delete