Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, February 6, 2014

Google It

I think this was on a list of over used and annoying popular phrases - anyway.

Google "Cotton Ball Diet" - we are in trouble folks. 

The mental and emotional weakness that doing this signals is breathtaking. The desperation that would make someone choose eating cotton balls soaked in juice over life is hard to wrap my brain around.

What is more alarming is that there was a time in my life when I would have done this. I am old enough now to be able to look back and see God's hand protecting me from myself in more than one circumstance.

We need to be in open communication with the youth in our families. Talk to them about these issues. Help them make choices based on reality rather than on false promises.

I just took the Sunday School kids to the nursing home last Sunday. As we walked around from room to room and sang "Jesus Loves Me" we were in a hall where almost every patient had a tracheotomy. There was one room where a woman had had some fingers and one of her legs amputated.

We talked in the hallway about diabetes and smoking.

There are examples all around us of people who are reaping what they sowed. Let's try not to be one of them.

I just said I wasn't going to post anymore today in my last post which was my second one for the day. I have no excuse. Be careful out there today.

4 comments:

  1. This is my first post of the day... hahaha. On that note, though... you have a lot to say!

    I can't imagine soaking a cotton ball in juice and eating it.

    Going to a nursing home and seeing people who have made bad health choices can be very enlightening. I hope that your young people carry that for a long time and it helps guide THEIR choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. I am always in teaching mode it seems. Can't help myself. The world is a dangerous place for kids who haven't been taught how to deal with it. Take care.

      Delete
  2. It is shocking to me what desperate people will do. And isn't it weird to think that eating cotton balls soaked in juice is somehow more appealing than just doing what we know actually works, but isn't nearly so strange?
    Kids certainly do benefit from adults who are willing to be real with them. Too many times we think we are protecting kids from the truth and they really just need to see it and have it explained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trading our health for an imaginary quick fix is certainly counter productive and shows a lack of self-esteem. Youth are particularly vulnerable because many of them are so easily led. If there aren't good role models, many kids find a role model that isn't a good one. I was afraid of my Dad because of the discipline that would be sure to come and didn't want to hurt my Mom or Grandma's feelings if they were disappointed in me. That is sadly missing in young lives in many cases. Take care.

      Delete