Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, February 6, 2014

Define "try"

I have seen a lot of encouraging sayings that read very much like this one does.

They always seem to me to provide a way out.

Trying or attempting or giving it a shot - you know what I mean. These efforts can be half-hearted and can be a part of that vicious cycle of eat/lose/overeat/gain/eat/lose - repeat.

We can say we tried it. We can say we gave it a shot. Were we serious at the outset or were we protecting ourselves from the reality of where we were in the vicious cycle?

These are encouraging words and they are meant to get us going but they seem somewhat of a "weasel" expression. We tried it but we don't need to feel like a failure because after all we tried it.

Am I being a wet blanket?

4 comments:

  1. I love Dr Laura's comment - "we do what we want" No trying, no attempting, no failing. If you want to do it you will. If you don't, well there you go. My coworker and I were just talking about this yesterday. I always try to work out, but I hate it. I don't like being by myself. It's not fun. It's not a sport or competitive to me - there are no teammates. I keep trying year after year but really I know I don't want to do it so what's the point of trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking a walk while carrying some light weights would be a workout. I think we need to define exercise sometimes. It doesn't have to be this killer, sweaty undertaking that we tend to envision. I have read that a brisk 20 minute has health benefits. Do you enjoy swimming? bicycle rides? I have even read that resistance training is more beneficial than aerobics. You can do that with your own body weight at home in about 1/2 an hour. But, I understand - if you don't want to, you aren't going to stick with it. But the good news is - you can lose weight without exercising. If you just want to do it like taking medicine - first thing in the morning and get it over with would probably be your best chance of getting it done. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I think Yoda had it right:

    Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! I wish I had thought of that when writing this post. Be careful out there today.

      Delete