Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, February 3, 2014

Advice

This made me wonder. What am I an expert on and how does one become an expert on anything?  It can be education, experience, and learning from those who know more about a topic than we do.

I should be an expert on losing weight. I certainly have spent enough time at it. I have educated myself; I certainly have the experience; I have read about how others have done it. So why am I still at it? So why haven't I reached and maintained my goal weight?

What if someone told me to go home after picking up some ice cream, cookies (for the kids of course), and a bag of candy. They also told me to lay around all day, drink sodas rather than water, and just eat whatever sounded good. Would I take that advice? Hopefully not. So why do we take that advice from ourselves? We advise ourselves to drink a bottle of wine which triggers the wanting of salty things, and lots of it. After a while we want something sweet to finish if off. 

If any of you quilt you may have seen feathers quilted on one. They are pretty challenging. I have watched videos, bought books, bought marking tools and stencils, watched others do it, seen it on many quilts and admired how well the feathers were done - but I kept chickening out. All that time and money put into making a quilt top could be compromised with poor quilting. You haven't lived until you've ripped out a bunch of stitching on a quilt that has the backing, the batting, and the top sandwiched together. What "might" happen was intimidating. I didn't want to take the chance.

One of these last quilts I just finished was a twin size and I decided that I was going to try feathers on the border. No way would I try it on the king size that's waiting to be sandwiched and pinned. You know what, it didn't turn out half bad. I'm rather proud of it and will be showing it to my quilt club at our meeting next Thursday.

Some things we just have to jump in and do. We can read all kinds of books on weight loss and health. We can read about exercise and what it does. We have to do it. It's easier said than done however and we know it. We self-sabotage. We latch on to the excuses and use them over and over. We rationalize what we do because we couldn't stand the hunger. It scares us. I have been thinking about this too. Why does hunger scare us?

It doesn't scare me like it used to but I will admit that when my stomach growls I get anxious. I do not understand that. Food is everywhere. If I miss lunch, it will be time to eat again in about 4 hours. What's the big deal? I am getting to the point of a growling stomach more often. This is a good thing.

I also had a thought yesterday while at Church. I had my usual raisin bran muffin before Church at about 6 a.m. or so. When I make them, I use 1/3 cup of batter for each muffin so they are not all that big. My stomach started growling in Church. It didn't bother me. There is no food in Church. Had I been home I would have made a bee line for the kitchen because for crying out loud my stomach growled.

Don't panic my dear readers. I made it home and had lunch. Close call.

Be careful out there today.








10 comments:

  1. Yes! We read, we shop, we do all the prep but then we have to act and action means subtraction, subtracting the bad foods and adding the good but subtracting the part where we eat too much of the good food (I'm talking over indulge) because even that can be bad. Action is the only thing that will bring change.

    I always enjoy your posts! Spot on! And the part about being afraid of being hungry, I wish I understood that. I used to never fear hunger in fact when I was young I embraced it, it was the banner I waved, look at me - I'm hungry and therefor I know I am staying slim and trim. I am the opposite of that now!

    Sorry to write so much but this really spoke to me. If you figure out the fear of hunger thing please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hunger thing is being afraid to fail at staying in control again over food. Each time we experience hunger, it's another test. We have failed that test so many times that it makes us dread the thought of failing at it yet again. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. According to your chart, you dropped 13 pounds in one month. Lady, you are an expert! Keep it going. Hunger builds character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be so full of character it hurts! Take care.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a lot in one month! I don't think I've ever done that well. You are certainly onto something. Good for you!
    The hunger thing IS tough. Sometimes I do better than other times. I know when I feel a little bit hungry at night that I am on track. I do also share your fear of feeling hungry. I actually know where this comes from for me and yet I still fall for it sometimes. Controlling emotions that come with eating can be tough. Taking a moment to ask ourselves why we're afraid of the hunger seems key. And then knowing what to do with that fear... you seem like you are gaining control at this point. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always say the most encouraging and insightful things. I think you have an energy level that helps you with weight/eating. I tend to be more sedentary. I have to make a point of moving around. Knowing what to do with the fear caused by feeling hungry is certainly key. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. Hi Myra, I think that eating well long-term has so much to do with mindset. Sure, we all know to eat vegetables, fruit, and lean proteins. But...what makes us do that, day after day? I think it is mindset. I think a person has to be determined to invest months of experimenting about what attitudes work, how to get out of a funk, what foods cause cravings, and which don't, etc... The experimentation is very unique to each person. However, the main eating rules apply to everyone. I really can't say that I feel anywhere like an *expert* about it, though. Probably just somewhat enlightened. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the main eating rules do apply to everyone. My challenges are in the areas of emotions and physical activity. I do stray in the eating category some but really not too badly anymore. It's a lifestyle change that must be adhered to for all but occasional drifting to the dark side. All three are a part of the 3-legged stool on which we all must balance. Take care.

      Delete