Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 21, 2014

That's More Like It

I have lost 3 lb. this week and am very happy about that.

I'll have to let you know if I placed in The Biggest Loser contest tomorrow. The leader will be tabulating today. It was interesting no men were allowed this year. They do tend to lose faster - the testosterone thing. The men have a separate group.

I remember my years in Weight Watchers the women were somewhat cruel to the men in the group because they would have big losses and it was like the women ganged up on them. They would smile as they made their snide comments. Even women who dared to have a big loss were "jokingly" made fun of. Our Home Economics teacher said when she went to Weight Watchers she didn't have a whole lot to lose and really didn't look as though she needed to be there and she would talk about how she was treated by the truly obese who were there. We tend to group ourselves into those with something in common. It must make us feel safe. I would notice sometimes women would come in and tell everybody of their indiscretions for the week and laugh about it. Others would join in and it could become a "can you top this" event.

It's nice to have two places to achieve a new digit. I am now in the 20's for lbs. to go. I imagine it will be at least two weeks before the new digit in weight is achieved. I will say it's not coming off as fast as newly gained weight usually comes off. I took enough time off I guess that the fat got really comfortable right where it was.

I recommend the plank challenge. I did three 20 second planks a couple of days and yesterday at aerobics after we got started my muscles felt like jello so I knew it was more challenging than I thought. It seems to be helping my sore lower back as well. I read somewhere that if the choice had to be made between aerobics and weight lifting, weight lifting is the better choice. Planks use body weight as the resistance as does pull ups, push ups, sit ups, and squats. These can also be easily done at home and don't take much time and I can really see the value of just taking bits of time here and there to do these as the payoff is great for the time invested. Weight lifting can be aerobic as well. We breath hard and the heart rate rises if we do much with weights - our own body weight or free weights. I also read that free weights were better than those machines because using free weights requires us to stabilize ourselves as we lift which uses our core and more muscles as well. It also simulates our movements for things like carrying in the groceries or lifting a child.

Hopefully I am one of The Big Losers this week. I will let you know.

Be careful out there today.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Myra, Great weight loss for you! That's strange about your WW experience. I think I used to feel that way about men losing weight--and it was probably jealousy. However, as I look around, men aren't doing any better at it than women are. So obviously, they don't have an easier time at it.

    I like TOPS better. It has people who typically weigh more pounds than in WW's groups, so the general atmosphere is less competitive. That is great in several ways. However, it is also unmotivational in certain ways too. I don't think that any certain group can be all things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Group dynamics are interesting to watch. We don't see as many men around the weight loss blogs as women. I think maybe it's because there is not the social stigma for overweight in men as in women. I think men may view a weight loss blog as a "girl thing" which it isn't but some men may view it as such. The men who do blog about losing weight add a lot to the discussion. I wish there were more of them. It is what it is. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Myra, I am glad to see you posting regularly again. Congrats on your 3 pound loss. When you get down to those last 20 pounds, it does come off slowly, so that is excellent progress.

    Reading this is yet another reminder that I need to plank daily. I usually remember every other day, which doesn't allow me to really make progress with it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think every other day would give improvement, but two rest days a week would probably be better plus you probably go more than one day in a row so it is easy to let it go - believe me I know. It's good to be back. I shouldn't have quit for a time but I just completely lost interest. I really enjoy the people so I am going to stay faithful. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Love the planks! Well love/hate of course but that usually goes without saying. I hope you did well on the biggest loser! You really hit on a good topic of how we tend to smirk at those that have less to lose than us or ridicule those guys who are losing it in big chunks. I think we have to learn to stay in our lane and not look at everyone else. Sounds like that is your plan. Looks like its working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the "staying in our lane" phrase - I may expand on that in a few days. I get lots of my inspirations from others. It's good to be convicted of our shortcomings as we do this. That's one of the great parts of blogging. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the three pounds! Due to a banged up knee I now I have to take off some extra weight that I put on due to the banged up knee keeping me from being able to do too much. :/ I can't do aerobics or zumba anymore, mainly just machines and some yoga. I try to stay away from w.w. for the very reasons you mention. It is bad enough going to the gym and listening to ladies making fun of others there. :( Wishing you luck with getting into the biggest losers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's hard to be unable to do what you want to do regarding exercise. I think I asked on your blog if you could swim - there would be no impact. I hope the disappointment over the injury lessens and that you heal enough to get in some activity. Sitting around being unable to be active is a recipe for problems. You can lose weight without exercising. If you are like me, though, being idle is trouble. Get out of the house and stay busy even if you can't exercise! Best wishes.

      Delete
  5. Three pounds is fabulous! Way to go. And good luck in the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty happy about it. I would like to place this week. Hopefully I will have good news about it tomorrow! Take care.

      Delete