Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, January 31, 2014

Starvation Mode

Starvation Mode has always been used as an explanation for not losing weight or a plateau. This is another one, in addition to the fallacy of gaining muscle, that I have pondered upon. Picture me like this:

----thinking but not at rest - that's me.

The article I have linked to explains it much better than I ever could.

I have heard people not only rush to explain a plateau or a slight gain through muscle gain; starvation mode is used as well. We aren't in Ethiopia folks.

We should be eating more. Music to our ears. I can't remember ever losing weight by eating more food.

Weight loss is not linear. We can eat, exercise, and drink water exactly the same for two straight weeks and have different losses for each of those two weeks. Accept it.

Let's see - it could also be how the stars are aligned. The wind could be out of the north or something.

The main point here is that this is pretty basic stuff but we need to have an excuse, a rationalization, something, anything to hang on to because weight loss can create some pretty desperate emotions - unnecessary ones I think but I also know I have been there.





8 comments:

  1. I've heard that one so many times. I don't buy it, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaining muscle and starvation mode are both used to explain things we don't understand or things we don't want to face. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I think it's natural to look for reasons for a stall or gain when you know your eating was 100% on plan. Who knows what the real reason is, personally I like the theory that after a large loss the body may decide to take a break and readjust things internally. When it's ready we'll start to go down again. The important thing is to stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are at peace with accepting this because we both know the emotions can throw us. Dealing with the emotions is as important as the eating/exercising plan I think. Take care.

      Delete
  3. LOVED the link...it's like something *I* would have written (even uses my favorite word!), only better! Thanks for carrying the torch, Myra! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Norma, that word brings back memories and the article does sound like you. We have to keep working to make people realize how important the emotional aspect of this is. I know I battle it still. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. I read that article just the other day. Great article. I see so many people who, well, really need to read the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use for a post at your own site. You have different followers than I do and it could help them as well.Take care.

      Delete