Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, January 16, 2014

Plank Challenge

Here is how a plank is done (forget the hip drop part). Here is the challenge below. I am starting today. I may do a plank in the morning and in the evening hoping to better prepare myself for later in the challenge when it is going to seem impossible. We do these on Wednesdays in my step aerobics class. It's harder than it looks but I have read that this is one of the 5 best exercises we can do. The article I read told us that body weight exercises are the best. We don't need all the equipment. Here are the five as best I can remember:

planks      sit ups      pull ups       pushups      squats

There is a squats challenge and a crunch challenge as well but I thought I would see if there was any interest in this first.   Let me know if you are in!

Day 1 - 20 seconds
Day 2 - 20 seconds
Day 3 - 30 seconds
Day 4 - 30 seconds
Day 5 - 40 seconds
Day 6 - REST
Day 7 - 45 seconds
Day 8 - 45 seconds
Day 9 - 60 seconds
Day 10 - 60 seconds
Day 11 - 60 seconds
Day 12 - 90 seconds
Day 13 - REST
Day 14 - 90 seconds
Day 15 - 90 seconds
Day 16 - 120 seconds
Day 17 - 120 seconds
Day 18 - 150 seconds
Day 19 - REST
Day 20 - 150 seconds
Day 21 - 150 seconds
Day 22 - 180 seconds
Day 23 - 180 seconds
Day 24 - 210 seconds
Day 25 - 210 seconds
Day 26 - REST
Day 27 - 240 seconds
Day 28 - 240 seconds
Day 29 - 270 seconds
Day 30 - PLANK FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!

10 comments:

  1. Someone on facebook posted this challenge. I started doing it. I admit that my follow through wasn't great and I would forget to do it sometimes. I planked again two days ago and I could hold it for sixty seconds. I really should follow the darn schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sixty seconds is great. You really should continue. It's a great exercise. I hope your headaches have subsided. Take care.

      Delete
  2. We do them in yoga too and I can testify - they are awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great exercise. I didn't know yoga used them. Take care.

      Delete
  3. No. I'm not "in". Wow, Myra! I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planks are hard so I understand. I can do 20 seconds! I am such an athlete! Take care.

      Delete
  4. Hi Myra, Very good! I do so many exercises that strain my shoulders that I've had to abandon planks for the most part. Otherwise, my shoulders get really sore and old feeling. But if you aren't doing all the push-ups and bench presses I'm doing, you should be fine doing planks. I hope you do super great with your challenge. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am doing the challenge alone :-) That's OK. This has always been a goal of mine. I don't do as much with weights as you do so I can understand why you have to draw the line somewhere. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that looks hard. I guess I'll have to try it!

    Thanks for following me and leaving a comment. I think a lot of people are in the same boat after the holidays...weight gained. I'm just tired of gaining and losing the same 15 lbs over and over...and over. I'm hoping this time will be the last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are three ways to look at it and all involve knowing ourselves. We can decide to "do" the holidays knowing we will have some weight to lose afterwards or make our goal not to gain any weight or continue with our weight loss program. I don't see anything wrong with any of the choices. If we know we will not be able to just go back to what we were doing and lose the holiday weight we shouldn't even go there. If we are the "all or nothing" type being able to indulge somewhat with no weight gain might be harder than not indulging at all. If we feel like if we don't get started we won't have to reign ourselves in later then do that. Sometimes with my emotions like they are it would be better to just say I am going to have foods I don't normally have and enjoy them rather than fighting to stay away from them and then bingeing. We just have to know ourselves and be willing to accept the consequences for our choices. Be careful out there today.

      Delete