Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, January 18, 2014

Let 'Em Be Fat

This makes me mad. This woman is educated and seems very articulate. Her weight doesn't define her but people like this man who bullies her have appointed themselves the keepers of the pounds. Small pleasures for small minds. Chris Christie also faces this. When people don't have an argument, they make personal attacks. We live in a world like this and I have even caught myself making judgments on obese people - ME - obese for the better part of my adult life. I guess it's that knee jerk, survival of the fittest thing that causes people to do this. She can choose to lose her weight whenever she wants just like the rest of us. We all had to get to the point where we wanted to lose the weight  more than we wanted the food. If we would let these people alone they would probably come to their own realization of what needs to happen much faster. When they are bullied, it just makes it worse as they often find solace in eating. I can identify. How about you?

Obesity receives much more judgment socially than does drinking, smoking, or even drug abuse. Fat people receive more discrimination than these groups as well as the handicapped and the elderly. A food addiction shows for everybody to see but other addictions can be hidden to a great extent. People are more apt to feel sorry for someone who is an alcoholic or who abuses drugs than the obese person. The obese person is just weak willed and a glutton. Isn't that true for all addictions though? Or not. I know a person can die if some drugs are discontinued cold turkey. I don't know if that is true for alcohol. There are many stories of people who have overcome their addictions when some life changing event happens or a strength is found somehow. The obese person can function, do a good job at work, and live a life that doesn't hurt anybody else yet their addiction is deemed more offensive in many cases. The drug addict or alcoholic often loses everything and everybody they have. Relationships are often difficult for all of these people. I have known drug addicts and alcoholics. Obesity is better. Somehow that's not very comforting is it?

Go figure.



4 comments:

  1. I agree that O'Brien is a jerk - and as a side note, he looks like a homeless bum, but I digress. However, I'm not sure such a public display of outrage is appropriate. She elicited a tepid apology which he clearly didn't mean, but what good does that do? She's overweight and granted, doesn't deserve to be humiliated, but as we who have fought our weight all our lives know, it's gonna happen. In my opinion, she should have shot back something like, "What are you, 12?" and left it at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all tend to get defensive when we are attacked like this. He was showing his true colors so perhaps others would have responded to him in such a way as to show that he was being a bully. If we are good people, the ones who are worth our respect will also be the ones who stand up when a wrong is done to another person who doesn't deserve it. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I think you are right that people judge obesity.
    its really not fair. And I never liked bullies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the obese would come around and beat it much more quickly if people would let them alone and be what they are. If they choose to be fat, that's OK; but if they want to do something about it, that's even more OK.
      Be careful out there today.

      Delete