Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Is There Always Room For One More?

One more what?

One is such a small number.

Contrast losing l lb. with gaining 1 lb. There is room for that 1 lb. in our clothes but in our emotions not so much.

This phrase used to be used to describe large families who were about to have another addition to the family. There were already 8 kids so what was one more?

"One more" thinking can get us into trouble. When bingeing I used to keep things in even numbers (don't ask me why). If I had had 11 cookies I would eat one more to make it an even 12. I still don't have an explanation for that. I would count how many peanut M & M 's I would eat. I would keep it in even groups of 5 at a time. Am I the only one who has done this? I still don't have much of an explanation for math having anything to do with overeating.

When we are totally committed to something whether it be healthy or unhealthy we want to keep adding on and try to get to that next level one at a time. It can be one more set of an exercise or it can be one more handful of something and then we might as well finish off the bag so it won't be around to tempt us anymore.

One more day of eating healthy and one more day of exercising can be tacked on pretty easily to the day before if we think we can't keep from it.

It's a completely different mind set between not being able to stop after beginning a binge than it is to beginning an exercise program or beginning to eat for health on a daily basis. We are much more vulnerable to doing unhealthy things. I wonder if it's the rebellion aspect of the eating outside of the boundaries we need to have to lose weight - probably. That's why we need lifestyle changes. "I don't eat refined sugar anymore" has a different mindset than "this diet does not allow for sugar".

Just one won't hurt. I only did it once. One time won't kill me. Every once in a while. One for the road. We only live once. One of these days. I'll just have one bite. I'll just have one more bite. My one and only. Remember Lay's potato chips? Nobody can eat just one. This ad reminds us of how easily 1 can become two and then 3 and on and on one at a time.

One can be a pretty big deal.

8 comments:

  1. First, I wanted to say you are not alone in that weird math/eating thing! I liked to eat things in threes... so if I was super full after eating two cookies, I would still force a third down, ugh! I ate M&Ms in groups of threes... or I would be displeased if there were four M&Ms left, and I'd eat an extra one so there were three left. Weird.

    Also - wanted to thank you for mentioning that there was nowhere to follow me on my blog. I didn't even notice that!! I think I fixed it, adding a subscription link and a follow by email link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know I am not the only one doing math while eating unwisely. Weird is right. I will trot back over to your place and see if I can follow. Will let you know if not. Take care.

      Delete
  2. For me I often set my goal is for just this one day. I can do almost anything for just one day. If I have to thing of how many days I need to do what I need to do to lose weight it is overwhelming. But if I can think of doing it for just this one day or sometimes just this one week, then it is all much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is how Overeaters Anonymous approaches success - one day at a time. They tell people to stay in the moment - don't be thinking too far ahead or looking back. Right now is the time to be successful. Hang in there.

      Delete
  3. One is the loneliest number...
    Never did the math thing myself, but lived with a step-father who was severely OCD and had to do things with the number 27! Imagine being on the receiving end of his literally 27 questions... that's for another day, another post, maybe.
    But seriously, one seems to work in the positive- just one day, take it one day at a time, etc. For the negative, it seems one leads you right down the slippery slope and that's just scary. I've never really thought about this power of one when it comes to weight loss, but that is how it comes off the best, really. One pound at a time. Otherwise, it seems to come back at just such a rapid rate as however you lost it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In America we are used to "instant" and "right now". We have lost the ability to wait in many cases. With weight loss this attitude just won't work. One pound at a time will get us there and keep us there. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Awesome post! Every bite counts, every work out counts, etc. I never counted anything when I would binge. My goal was to get to that elusive full feeling of contentment, which really equaled misery but I didn't acknowledge that. I just kept eating. Going off plan now is eating junk food but not to that degree. Those days are over and I hope they never come back. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off - I have been trying to leave comments on your blog but can't get past the word verification and can't find an email address.

      That being said - thank you for your compliments. We are all in this together and it feels good to know people like what I write. Get that junk out of the house! Take care.

      Delete