Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, August 11, 2013

Indian Giver?

Still want to binge? Didn't we give that up? What is it about the binge that we want back? This is something to think long and hard about. What about the binge do we want to be an Indian giver about? Remember an Indian giver is a person who gives something away and then wants it back. These people usually aren't held in very high esteem. We need to have enough self-esteem to put the binge to death.

Romans 6:17-18

The binge is but a stepping stone back to the familiar. Most of us who have lost significant amounts of weight have spent more of our lives in obesity so it is very familiar. We know what to do. We know how to act. As we continue in the healthy life we have worked so hard for this will become familiar as well. We must stay at this point until we manifest the health we are creating for whatever period of time it takes to not ever want to return to the unhappiness that was obesity. Is it worth experiencing some hunger? Is it worth exercising when we would just as soon skip it today? Is it worth drinking all that water? You betcha.

Are we truly set free from the slavery of the binge? Are we going to allow the evil in this world called satan to succeed in making us believe we cannot walk in consistent victory over temptation? Put it to death. Write a letter to yourself and read it often concerning this.

Remember this: what we believe determines the way we live. If we believe we are going to sin (gluttony is sin, so is making an idol out of food), then we will. If we believe we have no choice but to live in bondage, we will. If we believe we can't live victorious lives, we won't.

"Fear not, (your name here), I am your shield; your reward shall be very great". (Gen. 15:1)

This topic came from the daily readings of Nancy Leigh DeMoss.

My zucchini relish recipe is in my answer to Jasmine's comment on my Aerobics post a couple of days ago.

Be careful out there today and have a blessed Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. Great message! I don't have binges very often anymore, but even when I have small ones, they feel comfortable and familiar. I now just have a clearer vision that it isn't something I want for myself. I don't think I really used to connect the negative aspects to a binge to my life. Now I do. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a part of our recovery concerning obesity to "revisit" the good old days. They really weren't all that good were they? As I recovered from the binge they just became less severe and further apart until I finally could claim the victory. I can identify with anyone who still fights this battle. It keeps us humble when we have a slip. I have read bloggers who can be very insensitive to those still struggling and I guess I have to admit I can be somewhat harsh over this. I do believe it is more helpful to be straightforward with people out of love and a desire for their success. It really doesn't help at all to enable. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. I have noticed that when I am having a day where I have not eaten as much as I could, I often get to thinking about how hungry I will be in the morning and that makes me want to binge. Certainly is more comfortable to me to be too full than scary hungry the next day, especially with my background of having times when parents failed to provide food. It's good to face the feelings and not allow excuses, no matter how valid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those childhood experiences that are tied to an emotion can be a powerful force. That's why parents should never tie food to an emotion by using it as a punishment or a reward or just something to do. You have done well to come to terms with your past. Take care.

      Delete
  3. So true... you know, since I got off track and only recently back on track I am pretty sure I fear a binge. I've been doing great, and in the back of my mind I am afraid that at some point I'll blow it. So that verse really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very real fear and one that you should respect. You probably know the warning signs by now and can be proactive. We just are not used to success and often feel like we don't deserve it. We do deserve it and must claim it. Hang in there.

      Delete