Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, August 9, 2013

Aerobics Change Up

I have quit using the step in aerobics and stay on the floor but carry a 5 lb. weight in each hand. While we do the routine, I work my biceps and triceps. I can tell carrying the extra 10 lb. while doing aerobics is building muscle. I can tell because I felt pretty tired for the rest of the day as muscles healed. I use 8 lb. weights when we do the weight portion of the class. I was using 10 lb. weights but after missing so much for a while I had to drop back a bit. I should be ready to use 10 lb. weights again soon.

I haven't been around much because of yard and garden work. I have canned about 60 half-pints of zucchini relish which will be used as Christmas presents. It's such a good recipe. I was eating it out of the jar the first time I tasted it at the friend's house who gave me the recipe. I have now canned 56 quarts of green beans. I highly recommend the variety called "Jade" - you will have to order it from a seed catalog. It's very productive. I have canned this much from 3 rows and have given some away and there is more out there to pick. I have canned some tomatoes as well.

Our yard is on next year's Historic Centerville Garden Tour so we are trying to get as much of the mulching done this year as possible. It's a big, big job. We have gone to a farmer's place and gotten rocks to edge flower beds with - I love the look of rocks in a landscape. I have also been landscaping the dry creek bed I did last year.

I have tried to leave comments on blogs that have the word verification feature. I cannot get my comments to publish on those blogs. I have been reading and commenting occasionally. I have just been super busy. Things should calm down soon when gardening is done!

Hope all of you are well.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're getting some heavy-duty exercising in - both in class & garden/yard!

    A friend gives us zucchini relish that we love. I wonder if it's the same recipe?!?

    I would SURE love to see pictures of your yard. It must be amazing. And just maybe (when I know the dates) we can put the Garden Tour on our calendar for next year! That would be such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be July 11 (Saturday) from 9 - 4, and Sunday, July 12, from 11 - 4. It would be great to see you. I will do a virtual garden tour of my yard for you in the spring. We have an antique mall in town and there is a bed and breakfast in Centerville if you would like to make a mini vacation out of it. I am outside each night until dark working in the yard so it is certainly extra exercising. Take care.

      Delete
  2. That is a whole lot of ambition...all the canning, aerobics with weights, and gardening/landscaping. It takes busy to a whole other level. I've neglected my bushes and flowers this year in the rock garden. Procrastination was my middle name this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it gets hot it is hard to get those things done and before I retired I had that same problem. Sometimes there is another 8 hours of work waiting for us when we get home when we are homeowners. I do recommend that you go on any local Garden Tours that are available. It's a great source of ideas. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love to hear about all your productivity! I need to find out about this zucchini relish. I have never heard of it. Maybe you could give us the recipe. It looks like several are interested and if there's one thing that grows well out here in the Northwest, it is squash of any kind. This time of year people often come home to find bags of the stuff dropped on their doorstep without a note or anything. People just want to be rid of it so bad. They grow HUGE. Last year I had several that would have rivaled a new born baby. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini Relish

    10 c. finely chopped zucchini
    4 c. finely chopped onion
    3 c. finely chopped carrots
    2 c. finely chopped green peppers
    1/4 c. salt

    Combine. Let stand 3 hours - drain & rinse - my cup measurements above were very generous, mounded up, pressed down. Even then I got 21 1/2 pints at the most. The recipe says it will make 12 pints which would be 24 half-pints. I cut the zucchini lengthwise and got out the seeds before grating. I don't have a food processor so used a grater. Takes a long time for all these vegetables but this relish is great!

    Bring the following to a boil in a large kettle and add vegetables.

    2 c. cider vinegar
    4 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. cornstarch mixed w/water into paste
    2 tsp. celery seed
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. turmeric
    1 tsp. nutmeg

    I get a little generous with my spices as well.

    Bring this all to a boil. Have your jars, lids, rings in hot/hot/hot water. Fill and seal jars. They will seal w/o a water bath or being pressure canned.

    Great gifts for Christmas - mail person, hair dresser, etc. - we have such a big family that I will give one of these to each household at Christmas. It is something home made that can be done ahead and be ready for any occasion where a small gift is appropriate.

    Don't forget to keep some for yourself!

    ReplyDelete