Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, July 14, 2013

Why Do We Suffer?

We suffer because we have a lesson to learn.

I read this thought and decided to expand upon it because I am coming to realize that I cause my own suffering and a huge part of the reason for the suffering is because I didn't learn the lesson the last time I suffered for the same reason.

If experience is the best teacher it begs the question of why I have to keep experiencing the same discomforts repeatedly and still not learn the lesson that is there for me and quite frankly is right in my face. How dense must I be to keep doing self-destructive things, suffering the consequences, and then doing the same thing again?

One of our most vulnerable times is after a victory or an extended length of success seeing weight loss, improvements in fitness, and success with self-discipline. We let our guards down; we didn't learn the lesson. We didn't seal the victory.

We must all ask ourselves toward what outcomes are our lives moving?

Are we learning any lessons?

8 comments:

  1. This is a very good post. I am grateful to have found you and your blog through Leigh (Poonapalooza).

    Every time I have lost weight - like a large amount of it, I get kind of complacent myself. I can't afford to be that this time. Thank you for an inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I'm glad you found me too :-) I really think lifestyle changes are the way to go. The first thing I did was give up sugar. If you make that change and it is a very important one then regardless of the emotions or the situation you don't eat sugar. Drink the 8 glasses minimum of water each day and exercise at least 3 times per week. These too are important lifestyle changes. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Well, I think that if we want a different outcome, we have to experiment with a different approach to our problems. I worked on this quite a bit, and I have gotten better at handling my stresses. It is definitely not easy, but is worth the mental work. :D

    There is a saying: A gift is often wrapped in a problem.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We each have to find our own way don't we? It has to be OUR way in my opinion. Following someone else's rules, the latest diet, or getting the next supplement or pill never works. I read a study that was done once on people who had lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off and by far the successful ones had done it their own way. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Life is certainly a learning process, and I have had regrets, which I view as part of the learning. Some people say they have no regrets, and I can't imagine what that would be like or perhaps they are simply not facing the truth of things. In any case, I'm a work in process, and life is the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We just must be careful to learn the lesson as quickly as possible. I spent many years with a binge mindset and had to suffer many times because of it. I no longer binge so finally I have learned that lesson. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, this is certainly a though process I have found myself in as well. I try very hard to learn lessons through others so I won't have to do it myself as I have seen their difficult struggles. That has worked fairly well for me and yet... there is that one lesson about how I can't change others who are abusive to me that I just seemed to get served up over and over again, until I literally couldn't ignore it anymore. It was either learn or die. Talk about stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmmm. I was just SURE I'd commented on this, Myra. I even remember thinking it was a PROFOUND comment :) Now I have no idea what I said.

    I think it might have been something about suffering making us more humble and compassionate with those who struggle alongside us.....but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete