Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, July 1, 2013

The 25 Most Overused Words/Phrases of the Decade (in case you were wondering)

  1. Wardrobe malfunction
  2. Status update
  3. Tweeted (as in “I just tweeted about that”)
  4. “Cougar” to describe any attractive woman over the age of 35, who happens to be single, or any woman dating a man more than three years her junior.
  5. The “clever” blending of two words to create one era-appropriate word, like “Staycation,” “bromance,” “Metrosexual,” “Recessionista,” and “Brangelina.”
  6. “I just threw up a little in my mouth.”
  7. Date Night
  8. Getting anything “on,” like “getting my drink on.”
  9. All IM- and text-inspired abbreviations: OMG, TMI, WTF, LMAO, ZOMG, and the granddaddy of them all, LOL.
  10. “Hot mess” to describe anyone a little attractive whose sanity — or outfit — is questionable. i.e., Juliette Lewis.
  11. The shortening of words — which we are definitely guilty of — like “whatevs,” “obvi,” and “totes.”
  12. “That’s what she said.”
  13. Seriously. Seriously? Seriously.
  14. The word “amazing” to describe anything that isn’t actually amazing.
  15. “That’s hot!”
  16. Wuzzup!
  17. Un/Friended (as in “I friended/unfriended him on Facebook”)
  18. Beyotch
  19. “Dude!” (as an exclamation or a greeting)
  20. “What a douche.”
  21. “Voted off,” thanks, primarily, to the number of reality shows that vote members off the island/out of the house/off the show.
  22. “There’s an app for that.”
  23. Sexting
  24. “Like white on rice.”
  25. “I’m over it.”
My personal pet peeve is #14 - sometimes I think if I read another comment that says somebody is "amazing" for having lost a pound or started over after the third binge this month or exercising three times this week I will bash my computer. Really? (see #13 - similar). I have seen #25 used in addition to "I'm not going to beat myself up over it" or "I'm OK with it" or "I'm more than a number on a scale". These are just slogans that people use when they decide it's not fun anymore to eat everything in sight; it's time to blog about the amazing revelations that have come from it, repent, and get even more amazing. I still kind of like #6; it's funny as well as #8.

If you binge, I understand. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (another list item?) Binging is an emotional response to things we don't even understand. It begins before we know it and then we don't know how to stop. It must run its course. I wish I could tell you why. I can think of a couple of bloggers I know who really suffer over their binges. I know they truly want to stop.

This is different than the person who uses an event like FitBloggin' as a reason to binge because FitBloggin' will be the new beginning. I read some blogs where the conversation was between two people who weigh more this year at FitBloggin' than they did last year at FitBloggin' and just made light of it. I don't think either of these two was serious, just immature. One was just fishing for support and validation that she was amazing. This has nothing to do with emotions. It has everything to do with insincerity.

Have you done something amazing today? Did you drink water, exercise, eat right? Well, butter my butt and call me biscuit (couldn't resist).

Be careful out there today.


16 comments:

  1. I wish you didn't live so far away. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would be instant BFF's wouldn't we? The list keeps growing with that one. If I lived closer we would have to start working on that potty mouth of yours :-) Take care and most of all - wait for it - be amazing today!

      Delete
    2. Seriously? Seriously. ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hey! I say AWESOME a lot!!!!!!! But I concur:( It really does suck! So do too may exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. I have to go with Marc on the AWESOME thing. Too many exclamation marks could get on my nerves after a while as well. How's the head? Take care.

      Delete
  3. Truth veiled in humor - well, not-so-veiled and not-so-humorous. Truth though. For sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not so good at veiling things but do try to throw in a little humor when I can. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves but there is a time to stop playing games. Take care.

      Delete
  4. BFF, incidentally, is another of MY pet peeve phrases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely needs to be #27; Marc added #26. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Cute post. Certainly made me smile. :)

    I am really not doing well with being around or listening to people who have nothing productive or positive to add to my life. Although I do feel a little bad about dumping people on their butts, it's not as bad as living through yet another lame moment of excuses and garbage. So it makes me wonder how you manage to deal with reading the blogs of people who are clearly in that mode of excuse-dom. Maybe you are better at converting it to a positive in some way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If those people drag you down, it's time to move on. If you want to take the risk, you can point out what they are doing but we all know they will either then be the martyr or be outraged or offended to try and put YOU on the defensive. I think you already have learned about that and if you don't feel you can change them why put yourself through it again I say. Glad you got a smile out of my amateur attempt at humor. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Amazing post - oops, I meant I'm getting my LOL on. Err, I meant Seriously... oh never mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! We do get in the habit of using the current "lingo" sometimes as we communicate. Glad you enjoyed my attempt at humor. Take care.

      Delete