Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, July 27, 2013

Is This The Right Approach?

This Chef is being treated unfairly I think.

The decision is being made solely upon his weight. The kicker is that he has lost weight since coming to New Zealand. I wonder if blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure numbers are being considered in making this decision.

I also wonder that if New Zealand is concerned about health risks if they also deport those with various treatable cancers or those with Type I diabetes.

New Zealand is the third fattest nation following America and Mexico. We would be deporting about 1/3 of our population if we took that approach.

I also know we have to start somewhere and there will always be those who have good numbers but weigh too much. There will always be those at a healthy weight but have high blood pressure or are diabetic.

And since I am such a know it all, I also know the government pretty much screws everything up when they try to control people's lives. I also know that when people don't feel in control of their own lives, they often weigh too much. I would be willing to bet there is a correlation between those on public assistance and obesity.

For some reason I am at a loss to explain, we seem to address the wrong problem. I see this in education. We know we have a problem but don't want to face what has to be done or deal with the opposition calling those who would treat the real problem heartless and cruel. We think more technology will do the trick. We mess with the school calendar. We absolutely must work around the lunch schedule and athletics. We keep throwing taxpayer dollars at it. How would you say all these liberal policies concerning discipline, self-expression through no dress codes, and this attitude of "rights" and "fair" is working for us? We are destroying competition and the desire to achieve because those who would rise to the top must be held back because somebody's feelings might be hurt.

We need people to be held accountable. We need to stop separating consequences from behavior. I know it seems unfair when those who commit crimes are found to have been abused children or raised by a single parent or have been disadvantaged in many ways. "It's easier to build a child than to repair an adult". We are going to have to start a lot earlier than when a child becomes truant or gets expelled. We can't save them all unfortunately. Our schools are so bad in some inner cities that I think we need the military to help with discipline. Those who are trouble makers should spend some time in boot camp with men who don't care about their little egos or their rights. It needs to start early and it needs to be convincing. Can't you just hear the liberals and the race baiters on this one?

I seem to have gotten off my original topic. It happens.

Be careful out there today.

8 comments:

  1. You have so many topics going on here that it is difficult to choose just one. Let me start with the New Zealand man. The article was pretty slim on the facts (unless you know more from alternate sources). It appears that the decision to deport the guy is based solely on his weight, yet they were fine with him when he was heavier. It was when he started to lose weight that they had a problem. That is a bizarre story. There is obviously more going on, but I have no clue what it could be.

    However, that segues nicely into your second point of "government screws everything up when they try to control people's lives." And I would hazard a guess that you have nailed it nicely that the New Zealand government is also targeting the wrong problem, just as our government does on SO MANY issues.

    I see you attempted to tackle education. I feel like that one has spiraled so far out that I am not sure we can get it back. Throwing more money at the wrong things isn't going to help. You are right about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your thoughtful comments. All I can think of is that there has been an Obamacare moment since that man came to New Zealand and present weight is the deciding factor. Our government is so corrupt that I don't know if what I am hearing is the truth or spin - my guess is it's usually the spin. This regime wants dependency - teach a man to fish and you will feed him for life; give a man somebody else's fish and he will vote for you. I agree with you on education. We are too far gone. Our workforce cannot compete on an international level much longer. Many jobs go unfilled because the people with the necessary skills are not available. Industries don't locate in many locations because they determine there are not the workers with the education they need for them to hire. Sad really. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. When these issues come up in conversation lately, I have taken to telling people that I am going to take the Obamunist approach- that is take care of me and mine and screw everybody else! You should see their faces. It's true though- this administration has taught so many that they should just do what's good for themselves and don't worry about the future. It makes me sick, but it also makes me buckle down and know that I can't trust the government to do anything that I will really agree with. In some ways, it is a weight lifted. Everyone for themselves and hopefully the truly hardworking and ingenious survive!
    Seriously, I am getting involved in the home school movement by my husband and I volunteering to help out with subjects we know well. I am saving more cash than I ever have in my life and our household is healthier than it has ever been- both mentally and physically. Taking hold of your future and not relying on nincompoops for anything important feels wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go girl. We are growing more of our own food through gardening. I am canning and freezing this season. I bought a dehydrator. Next is chickens! Obama has been the most divisive excuse for a president that Americans have ever been subjected to in my opinion. When he was re-elected I knew all was lost. The majority of those who bother to vote have become fools who believe everything they hear and see on the idiot box. The others are arrogant and are impressed with their progressiveness. There was a waitress where Duane buys breakfast occasionally who said she voted for Obama because she wanted to be a part of electing the first black president. It was the first time she had voted and that was her only reason for voting for him. I think she represents a lot of people who voted for him. We have cancelled our Dish TV service and stopped wasting the money. Duane watches his movies and I am outside until dark working in the yard. If I am inside, I am in my sewing room. I am glad to read that you are channeling your energies to the home school movement. Public schools have become a poor excuse for education and many parents are getting their kids out of those schools due to safety reasons which includes bullying and the lack of discipline. Home schooling and Christian schools are experiencing a surge and I applaud this. I would love to be able to live off the grid but at this point in life I don't know if we can pull that off physically or financially. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. One of the criteria for getting residency in NZ is not having major health problems that would provide a strain on the state funded medical system. I didn't check the link, but he had obesity and a knee problem I think, which may have crossed the line from just obesity. I'm guessing that officials missed the obesity criteria earlier, which is surprising because that's not the first article of people not being allowed particular visas because of obesity in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if a provision like that is in Obamacare. It would be selectively applied I am sure seeing the number of illegals that get health care in America. Maybe a fat illegal would be denied care? Doubt it. Those are Democrat votes. Thanks for the information. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I don't think the government knows how to steer obesity issues at all. We should have community programs to people who want a Weight Watchers approach but cannot afford WW. Everyone can say "don't eat so much, then you'll lose weight," but that sort of comment does not provide support. I had a lot of support to lose my weight and get healthier--that really mattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until a person is ready to do something about health and fitness all the programs in the world won't work. If a person decides enough is enough and gets serious then that person lets nothing get in the way. It's determination and a willingness to do what has to be done. WW is a good way to start because WW teaches how to eat not how to diet. Support does help for sure but the determined person will do what's necessary with or without support I think. The obese tend to be people pleasers and this can be a problem. Many blog for the support; some join OA; some go to WW and there is support in all those places. The government is a big part of the problem rather than a part of the solution in my opinion. Pretty much everyone has access to all the information he/she needs in order to lose weight. Many are not willing to give up what needs to be given up in order to get the job done. The obese are pros when it comes to making excuses and rationalizing. It has to stop for success to happen. Take care.

      Delete