Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Does The Truth Work In Our Lives?

Emmet Fox - July 20   Bearing Fruit

Read Matthew 7:15-20

If man really were left without a simple practical test of religious truth, he would assuredly be in a sad plight - but happily this is not the case. Jesus, the most profound, and at the same time the most simple and practical teacher the world has ever known, has provided for this need, and has given us a universally applicable test for truth. It is as simple and direct as the acid test for gold. It is the simple question--Does the truth work in our lives? This test is so staggeringly simple that most clever people have passed it over. Truth heals the body, purifies the soul, reforms the sinner, solves difficulties, pacifies strife. There is no such thing as undemonstrated understanding. If you wish to know how you really stand spiritually, look about you at your environment, beginning with the body. There can be nothing in the soul that is not demonstrated sooner or later in the outer, and there can be nothing in the outer that does not find some correspondence in the inner.  By their fruits ye shall know them. (Matthew 7:20)

We certainly cannot expect to go on breaking the laws of the plane on which we live, and expect prayer to compensate for this foolishness. (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

As I have said before, Emmet Fox is a favorite of mine because his writings are so practical, so convicting. As most of us around here are finding our way when it comes to health and fitness we need to take these words to heart and think on a deeper level about truth. Who doesn't know the truth about gluttony and its consequences but do we understand, are we demonstrating this truth? Do we think we will be spared the consequences of not living the truth that we want to believe we understand? Maybe we don't understand after all? If we truly understand would weight loss and fitness be such a struggle, such an on again off again undertaking? Are we just giving lip service to this?

The fruits of some bloggers tell us they really don't understand. Sometimes I have produced fruit that showed I didn't really know the truth or care about the truth because I was being too proud to admit my lack of conviction. We are all good at the talk but how about the walk?

Let's align ourselves with the truth, look at our bodies for the fruit of what we are demonstrating, and decide if our inner world and our outer world are matching up - they always do eventually.

Be careful out there today.

 


14 comments:

  1. Hi Myra - very thought provoking. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Marc. I hope these words are as convicting to you as they are to me. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Yes, this is a good bit of what I was trying to say in my post. I have been sick for a long time. I couldn't see the Bigger Truth of why I was ill. I could see the "sins" that other people committed against me, but I couldn't see the sin I committed against myself in my inability to set boundaries. It was dangerous ground all of the time, particularly when you are involved with people who don't actually have much respect for the boundaries of others anyway. Throw in the desire to rescue people from their sins and take on that weight, and pretty soon you are carrying a very heavy burden. That will manifest into illness. Now, if all you can see is that other people don't respect you, they are abusive, they are not pulling their weight in terms of... well, anything, but you overlook that you never drew a boundary and that you took on their burdens voluntarily... Then you are now owning your own culpability in the mess. Yes, they were wrong. Yes, they have boundary issues. No, you cannot fix them.

    However, if you want your inner and outer world to align. If you want to be healthy, you must begin to think straight about all that has happened. In my case, I needed to own lack of boundaries. I need to own my need to Rescue. Seeing those patterns allows me to make changes. I can stop Rescuing. I can begin to draw healthy boundaries. As my inside gets healthy, so too shall my outside.

    A person can pray and pray all day, but until they own their part in their mess, nothing will change. They must own it and they take action on it. That is when God can work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too often people want to sit back and wait for God to jump through some hoops for them. Realizing that God does what we CANNOT do is huge. God strengthens us for the mountain we must climb. I can tell as I read what you write over at your place that you care more than you should about what others do and think. I have heard Gwen Shamblin call these people "fix it foxes". I am glad to learn that you have faced the truth that you cannot fix everything. We would all like to be able to make the world right but must make ourselves right first and then others will see the truth in us and want to do likewise. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Myra! Good blog entry, as usual. I wanted to update you on how my low carb eating is going - it was about a month ago that I went to the doctor & my weight was up, talk about an awful moment! I decided to go really low carb, mainly just getting carbohydrates from the milk I make my protein shake with, and I've lost about 22 lbs since then. It's boring, I won't lie, but it really helps that I don't get hungry because of my Roux-en-Y. I'm to the point where I can tell a difference in my clothes, which is nice. Now I just have to climb the next step, which is carving out some time to exercise. I'm not doing very well in that department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to read of this success. I know it had to be discouraging to see a gain. It is why I don't weigh very often - too emotional but in your case it was a necessary wake up call. One of these days we will listen to what our doctors tell us won't we? ;_) I have to be in a class and pay money for some reason I have yet to figure out before I will stay with an exercise program. Perhaps I should come in and walk with you three times a week - what do you think? An exercise buddy is a great help. I could also leave my bicycle at your house and we could take a bike ride. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to exercise together - the problem is my schedule is so unpredictable. I've lost count of the times I've thought, okay, I'll get this client done and then walk before I start the next one. Invariably I get a phone call or a frantic email for something somebody needs right away. I think what I'll have to do is walk before 8:00 a.m., before most of them get in to their offices. I never get calls before then. I'm always really busy trying to get as much done as I can before they get there, but it's not as "stat" as it is after they get there. I guess Mom could wait a little longer for her coffee and paper every morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she would love for you to get your exercise in each day. It's really important I think. Get out the door at 7 a.m. and get a good walk in. You will feel better. Take care.

      Delete
  5. You said this so well Myra! Your posts always make me think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking is a make it or break it activity. Our thoughts precede our actions. Everything we do is first a thought so we must choose our thoughts carefully. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Myra: I don't know anything about this stuff, but you just seem like a very good person, and that's why I like blogging with you. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should seek some answers concerning spiritual things. Read some Emmet Fox and think about what he says. Bible Study Fellowship has a web site and I recommend you take up one year of the study. This year we are spending the entire school year on the book of Matthew. It would be a great place for you to start. Take care.

      Delete
  7. "If you wish to know how you really stand spiritually, look about you at your environment, beginning with the body. There can be nothing in the soul that is not demonstrated sooner or later in the outer, and there can be nothing in the outer that does not find some correspondence in the inner."

    I have said that (in my own words) many, many times. I'm glad to be reminded of it, for I truly believe it. At least in MY case, if you look at my body and see it unhealthy because of my neglect or undisciplined eating/exercise, very likely it is connected to my "spiritual temperature"/relationship with the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our witness is affected by the condition of our bodies. We need to be the light that people need to see in a world that says "if it feels good, do it". Take care.

    ReplyDelete