Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, June 27, 2013

Somebody Needs to Pay Attention

I have gained some weight as you can see from the right side of the page. As we all know and as I have just demonstrated, when people stop blogging it is usually a sign of things gone awry. While it is not a great amount and I am still in the ballpark I need to nip it in the bud as they say. It's easy to "drift" back to old ways.

I haven't weighed myself too much lately and as most of us will attest to we need that reality check. It's easy to start thinking we can be like the naturally slim and not give eating and exercise a second thought. When will we learn?

I am sure my thyroid situation factors in (hyperthyroidism/Grave's Disease) a bit but I also know I am prone to latch onto that and use it to rationalize all kinds of things. I was prescribed a medication and then had some blood work done. The endocrinologist's office called to tell me to cut the pills in half three times a day rather than taking a whole one as I was doing. It must have been too drastic of a drop in medication because I had one of those spells with my heart beating fast and hard. I had to sit down for a while because I was feeling bad during this. I started taking half a pill twice a day and a whole one in the evening and I feel much better.

I was not attending my aerobics class because I was working so much. It was about a month of no exercise but now work is over for the rest of the year as I have reached the limit for Social Security so I am back to aerobics and being more careful about getting my minimum 8 glasses of water a day. I am out working in the yard and garden until dark almost every evening - love it. Green beans will be ready soon and they are beautiful and in full bloom.

I took the Master Gardener's class and we have a display at the 4-H fair. We did a square foot gardening display and my project was to take a bag of garden soil - poke a few holes in the bottom of it for drainage then turn it over, cut a square out of the top leaving the sides to hold the dirt. I planted radishes in it and it turned out really well. This would work for things such as lettuce, spinach, or green onions but nothing with a really long root or something with a large root system like a tomato. I took two other projects that were the bottoms of those old, ceramic large roasters with holes drilled in the bottom, filled with garden soil, and then I planted lettuce in one and spinach in the other. Several of the gals brought projects in buckets. There was also one of those old children's wagons with an herb garden planted in it. Cute. If you are limited on space but would like a salad garden you might try some of these ideas. Just keep the root system of what you are planting in mind when you choose your container. I saw one cute idea where a person had stacked old bicycle tires for a planter. I have used car tires for potatoes before. Start with one tire, put dirt and maybe three seed potatoes in the bottom. When the potatoes come through, add a tire and cover them with dirt. Repeat that one more time, be careful to water, and when the potatoes are done, take off the tires, push over the dirt, and pick up your potatoes. If you can find a tractor tire, they make good raised beds.

I am also going to try to make my own root cellar. It will be a lot of work but worth it I think. You bury an old chest freezer up to the lid - that's it. The freezer will be below the frost line and you can store potatoes, squash, beets, dahlia bulbs, etc. without them freezing. Digging that big hole will be a challenge.

Keep calm and carry on.



8 comments:

  1. Nip it in the bud indeed! You have demonstrated how important it is to be real with ourselves. Getting right back where we left off is half the battle. Good on ya Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear from you Leigh. As always, you are such a good cheerleader. Be careful out there today and take care of that ankle!

      Delete
  2. Blog on, Myra! It really DOES help me stay "honest", I think....

    What an amazing idea - the root cellar! Would it HAVE to be the huge old freezer - or wouldn't a smaller one work just fine? Could you bury an upright one on its back? Hmmmmm. Just thinking aloud on screen here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thought I had when thinking the same thing was that an upright freezer on its back or even a refrigerator might not be deep enough to prevent freezing????? I think I am going to go with the chest freezer. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am still following you and have been reading your posts. I am so happy for you and the success you have created for yourself because you consistently work your plan and even if you decide to rest a bit from the routine you get right back to what works for you. Good girl.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a great idea for a root cellar. Never would have thought of such a thing!
    I know what you mean by letting things slide and having excuses. I've seen it in action so many times. Maybe that helps me to stay out of that stuff. In any case, no excuse does our health any good- does it?!
    Stick with what works and do what you can to keep on track, especially when it feels like you really don't want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an area of my garden where things don't grow very well because my husband and son put too many ashes from the wood stove there. It would be handy in that spot. As soon as what's planted there now is done, I will get started digging. It will take a LONG, LONG time. I will have to use a pick axe and the tiller to loosen the dirt before I can get it in a wheel barrow and take it to the compost pile but I am excited about the project. Take care.

      Delete