Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mud and Vomit

Proverbs 26:11 - As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his foolishness.

2 Peter 2:22 - They prove the truth of this proverb:  "A dog returns to its vomit."  And another says, "A washed pig returns to the mud."

When I return to unhealthy behaviors and unhealthy eating I am like the dog that returns to its vomit. Have you ever seen that? Doesn't it make your stomach do a flip and cause the gag reflex to kick in and your eyes start to water? I have been thinking about this a lot because as disgusting as the mental picture is, it is a very accurate description of what we do when we aren't thinking. Think about that binge food as vomit.

We clean ourselves up, buy all the right food, and get some new workout clothes because this time it's for real. We forget that getting OUT of the mud and washing up won't keep us there without getting the mud in perspective. Why do we feel so comfortable in the mud? Does a fish know it is in the water? It's right at home. It knows what to do and how it feels.

Let's not be fools or pigs.



8 comments:

  1. Never knew the word "vomit" appeared in the Bible, let alone twice!!

    It is really very, very easy to let Being Fat become our comfort zone, isn't it? How many blogs have I read where the person begins to feel "not like myself anymore" when weight loss becomes visible; who are afraid to be "normal size" after years, decades, or a lifetime of being oversized? It is amazing, and scary, what self-destructive things our minds and bodies will let us do.

    Glad you're writing a bit again, Myra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book of Proverbs has 31 chapters in it. Read one chapter a day for a month and you won't believe how much wisdom is there and how true it is. This is a book of wise writings and I really think you would like it. People who self-sabotage are returning to the mud and the vomit. I know; I've done it. We are comfortable there and must get to where we find that situation intolerable. I have been getting an inspiration here and there for a post but just haven't gotten back to my former pace. Be careful out there today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those really ARE disgusting images (and so illustrative of the "natural" man/woman)! No wonder we are urged repeatedly to "walk in the Spirit" so we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are pretty ugly depictions of our sinful nature. Walking in the Spirit is the way to overcome those tendencies. Take care.

      Delete
  4. A very graphic thought for such stupid/silly behavior we have all exhibited at one time or another. Why is it so darn hard to keep up the good habits and so darn easy to repeat the bad ones?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you figure that one out, please let me know ASAP. We really do get accustomed to our bad behaviors and find them easy to repeat. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Myra: When I was in training for competition, I used to measure my weight each day by the quarter pound. I studied a great deal about gaining and losing weight. There are formulas one can follow for long-term weight loss. You probably know them, but if not, feel free to e-mail me. In any event, it is much easier to gain weight than to lose weight. It's simply chemistry.

    54.5 pounds? That means you denied yourself 190,750 calories in 7 months. You are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel really good about my loss and have made some permanent lifestyle changes that are serving me well. Take care.

      Delete