Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Long Day

I put in 13.5 hours today - after the route there was an e-cash (taking money to an empty or near empty machine), a service call, and a meet with a technician to fix an ATM. I keep thinking of having the end of this year off because I have told them when I reach the limit for Social Security ($15,120) I am quitting and they can re-hire me in January if they want. Last year I went over so much that I did not get checks in November and December and we still owed over $2,000 - that won't happen again. We are already almost half way there.

A family member is in the hospital on her death bed. Her kidneys are failing. It is truly death by knife and fork. I told you about her a few months ago. She is morbidly obese. She needs an oxygen tank and has to drag it with her wherever she goes. At a birthday party when she had to walk up a small incline to get to the house she had to lean against the wall and catch her breath. At one family gathering her husband put out a pie to share and said there had been two but she had eaten one of them. I have always felt sorry for him because her most challenging activity was working a puzzle book. He mentioned how he would love for her to do things with him but she just sat, and sat, and sat. Now she is spending her last hours in the hospital when it could have all been avoided.

People - we must quit thinking "it won't be today" and get this weight off and lead healthier lives. Libby is going to die younger than she should and it's her own fault.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, Myra; I remember you telling that story about your relative and mentioning her in other posts as well. It's very sad. People keep sending me a link to the blog of a woman in her very early 30s who was kind of an obesity advocate who just recently dropped dead, cardiac arrest, and asking me to write about it...I won't touch that $h!t with a ten-foot pole, though. I did mention in my post yesterday, though, that my mother became disabled and died directly because of her cigarette smoking -- sure, she quit (when she was SEVENTY years old, after 55 years of the habit) -- but the damage had been done and it kept going. No different than killing oneself slowly with food, gradually losing health and mobility to the point of disability, and eventually, weight-related death. As I said today, "I can't save every stray kitten." People who want to save their lives, lose weight, get fit, improve their mental and physical health -- WILL find a way to do it, with or without help from others. People who want to savor every crappy store-bought cupcake and relish hours and hours of reruns on TV have made their choice. The blogger who recently died had a last post titled "Can I Have it All?" in which she wrote of wanting to fully enjoy all the benefits of weight loss without actually having to "give up" any of her current lifestyle.. The answer is obviously: NO, you cannot have your cake, pardon the pun, and eat it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% agreement here. This is one area where there are no if's, and's, or but's. I understand the emotional part of this because I have been there. I just look at some people and shake my head but I also feel like "there but for the grace of God go I". I always try to find some empathy and even some sympathy but I also know what has to be done and those who have chosen death over life will have to live (and die) with the consequences of making food/eating an idol. I also think this is indicative of what America as a whole is becoming - hedonistic. Be careful out there today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a zillion stories out there. We don't like to hear about those misfortunes, but all we can do is learn from them. You are doing that, so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to see someone slowly kill herself. I am so very thankful I finally got a handle on it because I went for years battling, fighting, starting over and all that. I don't think Libby even made a half-hearted effort is the sad part. It was like she was clueless as to what she was doing to herself. Take care.

      Delete
  4. This stuff breaks my heart and makes me angry all at the same time. I'm with you- I feel for people and yet I hold them responsible for their own actions. Many of my friends are hitting that point where if they don't do something, then they are going to die much too soon. There really isn't anything we can do for these people except learn from them and try to get them to see the light when the opportunity for real understanding and change presents itself. Thanks for being an advocate for real change- no excuses needed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the one hand I remember being just the same way but somehow by the grace of God I finally got it right. I fight being judgmental because I was the same way at one time. And then I think it doesn't help anybody if I feel I cannot speak up because I was once in that same situation. We each have to come to our own understanding of ourselves, what we have done, and commit to real change. Be careful out there today.

      Delete