Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, April 1, 2013

Just A Bit Of Information

As you can see at the right, I have lost 1 lb. in 2 months - hopefully none of my followers will enable such behavior so I will :-) While losing a pound in two months will not be confused with "leaning into it" there can be something positive here (besides "at least you didn't gain", or "a loss is a loss"). We could call that maintaining which is a little premature but in two months how much damage could you have done? I don't even want to think about it. I have posted several times about a lifestyle change and something had to have changed for me to go two months without completely going off the rails. I still watch the carbs closely and don't eat sugar, drink the water for the most part, and exercise. My goal weight is 157 lb. so I have a little less than 20 lb. to go.

I have Grave's Disease. I started my anti-thyroid prescription today. I have an ultrasound on May 22. The endocrinologist said cancer is unlikely. My doctor was going to wait until after the ultrasound to start me on the medication but I went to aerobics after missing a few weeks because of work and I went back last week. I didn't cool off for the rest of the day. My heart was beating hard and fast and it made me tired for a couple of days. A friend of mine whose heart has done that told me her doctor said when the heart beats like that it is like you are running and that explains the tiredness. Right now I am sweaty for no reason. I asked my doctor if we could start the medication now and he agreed. I have to take it three times a day so I am going to have to work real hard at not forgetting that one in the middle of the day.

Here is a thought I wanted to share with you from my OA daily readings:

The only way to predict the future is to have the power to shape the future.    -Eric Hoffer

In the days when I was a practicing compulsive overeater, I could not predict my behavior. I went through life a sliver, slice, and slab at a time, thinking This time I will control it. But it is not controllable, not predictable. That is the disease of compulsive overeating. Powerless to carry out my good intentions to eat only certain amounts, I found myself unable to manage other aspects of my life as well.

Though I have come a long way, I am not cured. I have a daily reprieve that, by enabling me to abstain today, restores to me the power to become the person I want to be.

I like the "daily reprieve" concept. Each day can be a reprieve from out of control eating.

Do you and I have the power to shape our future of eating, exercising, and hydrating? Of course we do. We can then predict our futures because we DO have the power to shape it.

I appreciate those who have asked where I have been and telling me they missed reading what I write. I have been a little burned out I guess. I really like the blogs of people who describe their workouts and what they eat but it just isn't me. I am more concerned with the emotional part of this. If you and I can get our emotions under control and learn to be proactive success awaits.

We do have the power to shape the future.

18 comments:

  1. Hang in there with your thyroid disease and good work on the daily reprieves. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words. It's good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing what is going on with you, Myra. I went onto the web and read a little bit about Graves Disease. I will be praying for you that the medications begin to work for you. It sounds like that there is a lag here for them to be truly effective... so be careful. There is a risk of stroke for people with Graves (as I am sure you know), so the most important thing is to control all the things that you can. You are doing so well and you inspire many. Have you considered yoga? That is still exercise, but isn't so likely to get your heart going, but will tone your muscles. Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention yoga. A friend called and invited me to go with her to a class this evening but I couldn't go because I have a Master Gardener's class on Monday nights. It is almost over and then I will make an effort to get to yoga. Thanks for the suggestion. You are such a supportive person.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Your passion for health and fitness is such an inspiration and you always punctuate what you write with some of that potty mouth which makes it interesting and funny. Take care.

      Delete
  4. That's six pounds a year. Some people would kill to achieve that. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy to let up when this close but I will keep going as you suggest. I am not setting any records that's for sure. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Hi Myra, sorry to hear about your Graves disease. My father got it in his early 50's and my ex's sister got it around 40. Good luck with your treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The heat has always just smothered me. I can't take it. Now I know why. At least now we know what we are dealing with. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  6. My husband had Graves disease. A side effect of the speeded up metabolism is often significant weight loss, but not a fun way to lose. I hope that your doctors canmget this under control quickly, and I will be thinking about you. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought of the weight loss as well but haven't really noticed any big losses so maybe we can get things on an even keel before there are any health consequences that would be difficult to deal with. I appreciate your thinking of me. Take care.

      Delete
  7. Sending you best wishes with your treatment, Myra. Nice to have you back posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. I am hoping to get some blogging inspirations now so that I will be a little more consistent with posting. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  8. Hi Myra, so glad you posted! I had Grave's Disease for a number of years. I took methazolin (?) for a few years and after a while it didn't help. I had radioactive iodine treatment. Now I am hypothyroid and take meds for that. I hope that everything works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much the path I am expecting. Thanks for the well wishes.

      Delete
  9. Again, your insights are right on. Sure, it's good to see and hear about what people are eating and how they are keeping themselves fit, but nothing ever clicked for me for real until I got to the bottom of a lot of the emotional issues involved with over eating. I truly believe that is the reason so many keep regaining the weight. They just never face the issues and get lost in the next big thing that will help them lose the weight.
    So good to hear from you again! So sorry to hear of your health issues. However, I know you will do what you can get yourself to the best level of health possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you as always. We are in agreement on the emotional part of this. If we can get the emotional garbage dealt with, the body will follow right along. It's not really productive to try to lose weight without getting our inner selves right. I am feeling better already taking the medication. My hot and sweaty spells are not so severe so I am hoping they gradually disappear. Be careful out there today.

      Delete