Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mirrors, Photographs

How many times a day would you say you look in a mirror? Do you pick yourself apart each time?

What if you are given a picture of yourself? What thoughts go through your head?

Here's some of what goes through my head.

Look at those saddlebags.
Shouldn't wear that top again until a few more pounds are gone.
I should be standing sideways with one foot forward.
I look fat.


Why is there a difference between looking in a mirror and looking at a picture as far as self-evaluation goes? We are usually only looking at the neck up in a mirror. We do tend to take care of the neck up don't we? The hair, the make-up (or shaving), brushing the teeth, etc. I have always noticed how good a professional photographer can make a person look. We do look our very best if going to a photographer.

I really don't know what the point is here but it is something to think about.

Be careful out there today.

12 comments:

  1. I'm BEHIND the camera if at all possible. Hate to see pictures of myself because I'm never happy with the way I look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pick myself apart as well. We always find something about the way we look that we don't like in a picture. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I usually catch a glimpse of myself naked right before I get in the shower and think... damn.. I look pretty good. But then 3 seconds later I'll start picking myself apart so I just get in the shower real quick :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be all wrinkly if you spend too much time in the shower :-) It's good to hear you are pleased with how you look nekkid - there aren't many like you around here I don't think. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Hey, I see that 2 pound loss! Good for you. I'm one of those rare birds. I SHOULD look in the mirror WAY more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the Amish who don't have mirrors because they believe it is vain to look at oneself? Are you Amish :-) I think you have it right. We are way too preoccupied with our looks I think. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Not a pro but I've probably taken several thousands pictures of people and places in my lifetime. For flattering photos of folks packing a few extra pounds, it's all about lighting and angles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need a blog post from you for when we have to be in pictures. How should we stand, should we wear dark colors - I do know stripes that go around are not a good idea for the hefty. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Oh my lord, you have no idea how true this is for me. I am usually OK with myself in the mirror; everytime I see a picture I can pick out 20 things wrong with me. Why is that? I'm glad I'm not the only one to say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess after being obese for so many years it is hard to accept that we can be attractive. We have never measured up to those we see who are celebrities and seem to have perfect bodies. I was at a conference once and the speaker said that Barbie dolls were the worst thing to happen to little girls. We teach little girls to be sexy way before we should in my opinion. Lots of stress and pressure comes from this need to be "perfect". It is also a cause of bulemia and anorexia as well. We are afraid to feel good about ourselves. Go figure. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Even after 2 years, I still struggle with recognizing myself in photos as my 50 lb. lighter self. I don't know why it was so much easier to see myself as the unattractive fat chick. Now that I don't have 2 chins and I can actually see my clavicle bones, it's totally foreign to me. And if I have a couple of bad days I assume the fat girl is going to be right back and I am shocked when a picture shows me that nope it would take a lot more than a couple of bad days to bring her back!
    BTW, have a taller person take your picture. The angle is always better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the taller person to take pictures - makes sense. A self-image that is developed over years is hard to change even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I remember when I lost my weight the first time I would buy clothes that were too big for me. Take care.

      Delete