Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, February 21, 2013

Declare a Fast?

Have any of you ever fasted? I have. I have fasted for a day just to clean out my system and get back in the game. I have fasted to regain control and prove who's boss.

Have any of you ever had to fast before having blood work done? Doesn't it cause anxiety? We figure out the last possible time where we can eat because it could be 12 WHOLE HOURS before we get to eat again. We all know someone who has died from this don't we? My husband just had to fast before having blood work done and he ate two large cheeseburgers rather than his usual one in the evening. It bothered him that he couldn't have anything to eat after that. Aren't we silly? It's kind of like the anxiety we feel when we have to wait for a meal or a pizza to be delivered.

I have read that a fast is a good way to clear out the liver and get rid of food that is backed up so to speak. I always have tea, black coffee, and water during my fast. Some people have bouillon as well. I have read of people who fast one day a week. I don't know if I am up to that but I have fasted.

People have fasted for spiritual reasons - as a way to concentrate on God and not the flesh.  Jesus said that some demons can only be cast out through prayer and fasting. Do we have demons we need to cast out? I know I battle my personal demons and you probably have a demon that you battle as well. This can also be a besetting sin.

What has been your experience with a fast if you have ever done one?

12 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that this was on my twitter page this morning: "We are addicted to information. We would rather read a book about fasting than fast. Fast more. Read about it less."

    I generally don't "talk" about the few fasts I've done. They've been very personal (and special)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scripture tells us that we are not to walk around moping and all sad during a fast but be joyous. There are certainly very personal reasons for a fast and are just between us and God. Take care.

      Delete
  2. As I understand it, intermittent fasting is used sometimes for weight loss- but more by men that women. I know people who fast for Ramadan- tough stuff.

    Now that I'm fat adapted, fasting for blood draws is quite easy. Thank goodness!. I used to be all shaky and crabby. I usually only fast for blood draws these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fasting really brings our food insecurities to the surface. I only fast for blood draws as well but would like to think I could fast one day a week. I really don't see that happening. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Myra: I do fast, but never when I have to fast. I choose my own time and do it for my health. The satisfaction I derive out of completing with ease something others find difficult is a great experience. Give it a try. It is empowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Church is starting a fasting experience. I will be fasting from 6 p.m. Saturday to 6 p.m. Sunday for four weeks. I am looking forward to it. It is in preparation for Easter. My only meal will be Communion during that 24 hours.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I appreciate that Rebecca. I think blogging has just run its course for me for now. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter, Myra! Celebrate and live daily in the same power that raised Jesus from the dead! "Daily", I tell myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just meditating and praying on the thought that I can rise above the sin of gluttony, sloth, and all the deadly sins just as Jesus rose over all sin on my behalf. We can shape the future if we believe we have the power to do so - and we do in Jesus Christ. Have a blessed Easter.

      Delete
  6. I kept wondering about you and then forgetting to check in on things over here in your part of blog land. While I understand well that blogging doesn't always fit into our lives, I do miss your insights.
    Take care of yourself. It is a wonderful renewing time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate being missed. I am glad that I have influenced you through my blogging. I am about ready to get back at it I think. I have just been burned out with it I think. Take care.

      Delete