Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, January 19, 2013

Something to Share

I am on call all day on Saturday and Sunday (7am - 11pm). I got a call first thing out of bed this morning and drove to Dayton (1 hour each way) and found a locked building so I could not go in to see what was wrong. I got back home and was walking in the door and my pager sounded and I had to leave for Wilmington (2 hrs. each way) - GAH!

Anyway - I listened to a health show on a local radio station while driving  that is hosted by a chiropractor who believes in strengthening the body, aligning the spine, and supporting the body's efforts to heal itself. One man called in about his insomnia and the host told him to lose weight (285 lb.) and give up sugar. The host said eating sugar was like throwing gasoline on the metabolism. It sets it afire (blood sugar spike). I had never thought of it that way.

He also said people do not die of the flu; they die with the flu. Their systems are already compromised and the flu is more than they can overcome. That got me thinking as well. He also said getting a flu shot makes one more susceptible to other strains of the flu that the shot does not cover. I know I have heard people say that if they get the flu shot; they get the flu. A nurse told me that they inject a dead virus to create the immunity so they won't get the flu but evidently these people get another strain.

Take care.

10 comments:

  1. I've been hitting the health documentaries hard lately, and they all scream that sugar and Insulin spikes are the weight loss devil. I've been taking a hard look at my sugar and although I thought I was doing good - I found it in more places than a thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in about everything that is processed I think. At WW I think they would tell us not to eat a product where sugar was higher than the fifth ingredient. It might kind of be a rule of thumb to follow but the less processed food the better as we already know. Eating stuff we cannot pronounce is probably not a good thing. We just have to keep learning and sharing with each other what we find. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting....thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. I agree, very interesting.

    I get the flu shot every year....except this year, I just was healthy and never made my way to the doctors office to get it. I figured, I'm young & healthy, I will take my chances...

    Last year I got the shot AND the flu! So who knows.

    Sugar is the devil!!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get the flu shot and I don't get the flu. This chiropractor was definitely against flu shots. If we are healthy our bodies can fight off invading germs. Sugar is straight from the pit of hell. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE chiropractic and their approach to prevention of disease and maintaining good health as opposed to traditional medicine's patch-and-repair-and-prescribe-drugs tactics. It made a huge difference in my life when I had neck and back problems, and my chiropractor is actually the first person who preached to me about whole foods, and, after I'd lost most of my weight, referred me to his fitness trainer. And yes, sugar is the devil. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chiropractor always has natural suggestions to the problems that people call in with. Like when I listened yesterday he was telling people to lose weight, stop eating sugar, get outside and breath some fresh air, and be in Church the next day. He told them to get an alignment for their spines and recommended herbs (which are a food). Chiropractors do not write prescriptions because it is against their philosophy of wellness. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  5. I have never gotten a flu shot. Who wants to die "with" the flu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never gotten one either. I would rather die with a glass of wine reading a good book. How about you? Take care.

      Delete