Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Inspiration

The Thing about Inspiration

Have you noticed?  
There's SO much GREAT inspiration out there
that it's possible to be "hooked" on inspiration 
and never actually change ourselves?
 (I was going to copy/paste an example....
but it was too large; I couldn't make it fit.
But you've seen 'em.  Those clever pictures and quotations...)
They're REALLY good,
but at some point you have to leave the pep rally 
and start the game--
and STAY in the game!

I lifted this from Rebecca. She and I have met for lunch half-way between our homes and have gotten to know each other pretty well.

This got me thinking about myself. 

I have so many quilt books and patterns and so much fabric. Will this get more quilts made?

I have daily inspirational readings, books on self-improvement, videos, things to listen to in the car - like the mere purchasing of these things will change me. 

I go on shop hops and get what I need to make a quilt top. Some of them are still in the sacks. I have a quilt kit from the first shop hop I ever went on. I am so pathetic.

How about you? Do you invest in all the stuff (exercise equipment, videos, memberships, workout clothes) and still have farther to go than you should?

It really is time to get out of the bleachers, isn't it?


10 comments:

  1. Give yourself a break! You get a lot done and you're an awesome sister wife, mother, and daughter. You've made a lot of people happy with the beautiful quilts and other things you've made for us. I'm all for ambition, staying busy, and getting things done, but there does come a time when you have to just be happy with what you've accomplished. That makes you want to accomplish more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I want to have made something for everyone on both sides of the family while I still can - I have a few more years left :-)I do enjoy seeing the joy that what I have made brings to people. That's the reward. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like Jennifer KNOWS you, Myra! The point isn't so much to do "more" as to just plain DO.

    I guess (knowing myself so painfully well) I know how easy it is to "think about doing", surround myself with witty & motivational sayings, set goals, select shining examples, and still never actually BEGIN.

    I guess my message to myself is to go beyond words to where the action in. Guess that's what the Bible means when it says "let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth". (I John 3:18) I think it's just as troublesome to "diet" or "exercise" in word/talk and never get to deed/action!

    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem to know me doesn't she :-) I am the oldest of four and she is the youngest - there are two brothers between us. I am so like you - thinking about doing. I spend too much time on the internet, take on too many activities, and procrastinate over things I would rather not do. I can accept some of that but I really do need to be more productive (things like housework, for example). Take care.

      Delete
  3. I think having stacks of projects is just part of being a crafter/quilter/artist of some sort. I have probably 20 and my mom has many many little sacks of fat quarters for this and that. Sometimes I think "I'm not going to buy any more stuff and just use up what I have" But I think part of most hobbies involves the shopping for supplies.. it's the funnest part :oD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How many times have I said I wasn't going to buy more until I use up what I have or only buy what I need to finish up something? Too many to count. My sewing room is pretty well packed I have to say. I was watching a quilt show where the speaker said that fabric is something we collect and enjoy. We don't necessarily have to ever use it :-) I like her. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  4. A good wake-up post. Mostly we don't realize the surplus stuff that is cluttering our garages, attics and our minds. Trust me when I say toss it out. I spent the whole summer emptying 3 houses of a lifetime clutter. Most of the clutter is gone and one house sold... good-by, kaput house. I was shocked when I saw how much stuff I had acquired in a life time. It feels so good and now I'm housecleaning my body. On a cleanse and new exercise program. uuuggghhh but I'm doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in a small house and I have made some small efforts at getting the best of the clutter. I have tossed some things out much as it hurt. Our "spiritual" houses also need work to keep them running smoothly. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I'm not a very accomplished quilter but I also have half finished quilt tops lying around, and stacks and stacks of fabric, for the quilts I will one day make...knitting is another one of my hobbies, and although I tend to finish what I begin, I have been stuck on the one sweater for over two years...I totally agree with the inspirational stuff...I read blogs, articles and buy magazines, books etc but at the end of the day if I don't put all those ideas to practice, I will never get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been finishing some of my projects that I have started and failed to finish. It's a good feeling when one of those "PIGS" (projects in grocery sacks) gets done. Take care.

      Delete