Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, January 3, 2013

Echoes

Looking forward into an empty year strikes one with a certain awe, because one finds therein no recognition. The years behind have a friendly aspect, and they are warmed by fires we have kindled, and all their echoes are the echoes of our own voices.  - Alexander Smith

The old and familiar is more comforting to contemplate than the new and untried.

I read the above in my OA For Today readings. I think the word "awesome" is completely overused these days but there is a certain awe considering the empty year before us all. There is nothing to recognize about 2013 yet because there is no "echo" yet; 2013 is yet to be warmed by the fires of what we do, what we accomplish, what we become.

Too often we have gone back to the old and familiar because it was old and familiar. It's the echoes of our own voices calling us back. What voices will pull us forward and through 2013? It is the voice of our own hope. Will the voice of fear drive us back or keep us from the prize?

What voice are we going to listen to this year?

The voice of fear will convince us that we cannot do this. What do we do? We exercise, eat right, and get the water in anyway. We must ignore the voices of insecurity in our heads - those voices that remind us of how many times we have failed in the past - the old and familiar.

Remember being afraid to go into a dark room because of the unknown things that might be waiting? Why did we assume that there was something to be frightened of in the darkness? There was something in that room we wanted so we found the light switch and after flipping on the light we saw there was nothing to be afraid of all along.

That dark room is 2013. There's nothing to be afraid of. The light switch is in our brains and our hearts. This year will be an echo in 2014. What do we want it to say?



6 comments:

  1. You are very poetic today Myra. "What do we want it to say?" Turn on the light so I don't stub my toe or trip and fall;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like your humor Marc. Your last sentence could be expanded upon pretty easily. Stubbing our toes/tripping and falling could be those times when we lose our way. We need a light don't we? What could that light be do you think? Take care.

      Delete
  2. I rather enjoyed this. I like the idea that I am my own light!

    Also, thank you for your honesty in my blog, I always appreciate good advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are your own light Maren! I am so glad that you are back to blogging and working toward healthy again. I was hoping you would accept my advice in the spirit in which it was given - I care about you! Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Hello Myra,
    I read your comment at JJ's political blog and since we share some interests, I thought I would look you up. I am also trying to lose some weight right now. It's been a struggle to try to lose 20 lb. I've always been thin and into natural health but somehow my organs, esp. liver, got out of whack and the toxins won't let go of an ounce. I recently moved back to a town that I lived before and got in touch with my old naturalpath. She is trying to heal the organs first and then the weight should come off. (should!!!!)

    I plan on reading your past posts but right now I have to go for my daily walk. I will be by again.
    Sincerely, Manzanita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I have just started a new blog aimed at politics. It is onpoundsandpolitics.blogspot.com - swing by that one as well. I have about 20 lb. left to go as well. We can do this. Take care.

      Delete