Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Thursday, January 17, 2013

Different Kinds of Hunger

I have been wanting to eat everything that couldn't run faster than me today.

This morning I had that nauseous kind of hunger, kind of a sick feeling. I ate my bran muffin and it still wasn't enough so I had a banana with some peanut butter on each bite.  I ran the route today and had my protein food bar, my trail mix, and my apple gone way before noon. What is wrong with me?

I came home and had lots of almonds and two squares of dark chocolate. I figure if I am going to eat it is going to be the good stuff - what I usually eat.

I have gotten the water in today and will have body sculpt tonight. Hopefully I won't be wanting to eat everything that isn't nailed down when I get home.

I have trouble with mouth hunger and chew a lot of sugar free gum.

When I have head hunger I get something hot to drink or some water. Head hunger can be dealt with by just shoving something in the face like some coffee or some water or some of my sugar free cappuccino.

The "just empty" hunger is not too hard to deal with because there will soon be a growl and it's time to eat.

Then there is the panic kind of hunger from an insulin response in my opinion. Eating too many carbs will do this. Eating too many carbs makes the body want MORE MORE MORE.

I missed more exercise classes than I should these past couple of weeks and am now back full steam ahead. My muscles have been sore and they are healing so I am blaming this hunger on that.

Heard a good tip for saving money as I listened to talk radio today on the route. It's easy - don't spend $1 bills. Each evening put them away somewhere. I have always saved my change and quite a decent amount can be saved over time and is not missed. I had not considered also saving $1 bills as well. I am sure I can have Christmas taken care of by starting today doing this. How about you? Join me?

Can you think of any other kind of hunger?

16 comments:

  1. Bored hunger. I get that ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. If I don't keep busy my mind wanders to food/eating. I guess it's a pretty easy fix - get off our butts and do something! Take care.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what category to put that "craving ______" (fill in the blank) hunger. And I think I've had them ALL.

    I HAVE heard of a similar savings plan on someone's blog, I believe. They are saving $5's. That would really mount up fast, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - craving something specific - but there is usually an emotion tied to that. I get to wanting sweets occasionally even though the carbs are out of my system. I am sure it's from back in the day when baking cookies or having donuts was associated with love. I think I will stick with saving my change and the $1 bills. Saving the $5 would mount up fast and you would be ready for Christmas as well or a new appliance or a set of tires or or or :-) Take care.

      Delete
  3. We save change, it really does mount up fast. Plus I put the odd amounts of my checks from my clients in a separate account to be ready for emergencies like tires & stuff. If my check is 357.80, I'll put $7.80 in there, like that. It has come in handy many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. There is always an unexpected expense that blindsides us. It's nice to have cash rather than having to go in debt for anything. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I like the dollar idea...sure I'll give it a try, starting tonight! We do deposit all our loose change in a big empty protein powder jar and then cash it in before Christmas. It usually has about $450 in it, which is much appreciated right about then! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Let's compare totals on December 1 of change and dollar bills. It'll be fun to see what we have accomplished and can share what we will be doing with it. I started tonight as well. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Myra: When I was still in competition, I used to monitor my weight to the quarter pound every day. Of course, I was younger, and metabolism does change, but metabolism affects only the rate of weight loss. Someone with a good one might get up off the couch and lose 300 calories, and someone else with a bad one could run a mile and lose only 10 calories. But that does not mean we can't burn calories! The secret is focus.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with you! We all go through the same thing. If I want to lose weight, I focus on small chunks. I might, for example, have a ten-pound goal. During that focus period, nothing gets in my way. When we try to set huge goals, we tend to get frustrated. Why? Because we are human beings. I think you are terrific. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do tend to expect too much and have trouble taking things in stride and as being part of the process. I haven't been hungry like I was today for a long time. The positive thing is that in the past it would have meant a binge. Today I did eat more but it was just more of what I usually eat so that's a big win! I am thinking of going to body sculpt a little early and spend some time on the elliptical. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  6. I like your dollar saving idea...we have $1 and $2 coins here in Australia, so I might just join you and put them away at the end of every day. It would be lovely to see a nice amount there at Christmas time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be wonderful to be ready for Christmas and not have to use any credit cards! There might even be enough to buy something nice for ourselves as well. Take care.

      Delete
  7. When I have that kind of hunger it means I'm doing it right in the exercise arena. I've jumped some invisible inner line or gained more muscle or something and suddenly the metabolism is reved up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's what I felt like it was but it's kind of unnerving when one has been an overeater to feel like assaulting the refrigerator again. Self confidence comes with time I guess. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Yes indeed, I will have to agree that this is that normal thing that happens when we have seriously upped our activity level. However, you are so right about how scary it feels to those of us who have had to fight back other illegitimate feelings of hunger. In time, you will get it. You have a knack for learning from your experiences without too many repetitions.
    I like your dollar bill idea. I may not have too many, but I am curious to see. I am one of those people who rarely has cash on hand and uses credit cards all month long and then pays them off completely every month. At the end of the year I usually have 300-400 cash back on the two main cards I use. However, a little saving without thinking much about it is always fun. I'll give it a try with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I seem to have regained some control but it is a little disconcerting to even dip my toes in the waters of overeating. Norma is doing this as well so there are three of us! We can accumulate in small amounts because I know I can "fritter away" those same amounts on things that are unnecessary. Be careful out there today.

      Delete