Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, December 16, 2012

It's All In Your Mind

The title statement is from "Around the Year With Emmet Fox". I like daily readings and there are three that I read each day. One is from C. S. Lewis, another from Overeaters Anonymous, and then Emmet Fox.

"Mind is cause, and experience is effect. If you do not like the experience or effect that you are getting, the obvious remedy is to alter the cause and then the effect will naturally alter too."

We create our lifestyles in our minds. Back in the days of the binge I remember thinking about eating and wanting to eat so badly. I knew I was going to binge but fought it. I would have that panic of a feeling and would just finally go ahead and binge so I could get it over with. This was all first in my mind.

Changing that was no easy task. There came a time when enough was enough. The reason the change is so hard is because of the emotional baggage. Our emotions can cause us to do things that we don't understand. The triggers are there but we can't seem to do the right thing. That neural pathway is well worn and we know the way to the binge and need very little help to trod that path once more.

The binge has served its purpose for me. I don't binge anymore and I can't tell you what purpose it served. It had to serve a purpose or I wouldn't have done it. 

Think back on a successful day. What is different about that day? Why was there no binge? Will you have a binge on January 1? Probably not. Why not?

The bingeless days probably find you busy and focused.So stay busy and focused.

The bingeless days probably had some exercise in them. So exercise whether you are in the mood or not.

The bingeless days probably had the right foods and water in them. So eat the right foods and get in the water.

The bingeless days probably had you devoting time to others rather than dwelling on yourself.  Do that too.

Change your lifestyle, You don't eat sugar anymore remember? If a binge is imminent, binge on fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. Eat almonds until they come out your ears. Drink water until you throw up. Believe me, it's a lot easier to stop eating almonds than M & M's.

Be careful out there today.










12 comments:

  1. What a great approach--"a bingeless day........"!

    My "window" is about closed for today. In it I enjoyed a free birthday dinner at a local restaurant and a cupcake and a couple of pieces of candy at a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration - and for a snack this evening a sunflower seed, peanut, raisin, choc. chips mix. I count it a fine, fulfilling day food-wise....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have found what works for you and what you can live with. I think that's great. I am glad you can have sweets in reasonable amounts. Is it your birthday today or was it someone else's? If it was yours, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Take care.

      Delete
  2. You're right about the almonds. I let myself have as many as I want... which is rarely more than a handful. It's about all I can choke down in one sitting... that's the natural raw ones though. The salted roasted kind I could probably eat a small can lol. M&M's would mean nothing but misery for 3-4 days till all the sugar was out of my system.. and there's not much worth doing that to myself over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat the roasted, unsalted kind. I am like you though. A good sized handful is plenty and I can honestly say that M&M's don't appeal to me anymore. Now that the sugar is out of my system I can stop at some sweets without going berserk and making myself sick. I don't even do that much. It isn't worth it. I would rather indulge with a glass of wine than with sweets. Take care.

      Delete
  3. I miss my M&M's(sigh). I was doing roasted salted almonds but have switch to organic raw.(sigh again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I don't miss sweets. Now that they are out of my system they are out of my mind. Nothing good comes from eating sugar - nothing. Anything that causes us to lose control must go if we want to reach our goals. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I think it is safe to say that everything happens in our minds before it takes form. Sometimes it doesn't happen very long before it takes form. Other times it sits on our mental burner for a long time before it becomes a physical reality. The key statement here is about the reality that you are getting: are you pleased with it or not? If not, then you need to do more mental work in order to get a different manifestation of a physical reality. Now that is something to think about... Interesting post. Thanks Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about your headaches. Have you ever de-toxed your body? You used the word "manifestation". I have been reading a lot of Emmet Fox; he has a more metaphysical view of spirituality and talks about manifesting and the power of thought. I will be looking forward to your post on this topic. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Years ago I tried a cleanse that I bought at the Health Food Store. I think that I must have been way too toxic at the time... and I bought the wrong kind, I think. Anyway, a couple of days into it I was vomiting constantly. Yeah, says something about my toxicity levels, I think. Anyway, for a while there I was really good about taking all manner of vitamins. Then, I narrowed my focus. I think I need to broaden back out, maintaining a few "core" areas. Anyway, I think you actually have to be a certain level of "healthy" in order to tolerate a cleanse or detox. That sounds a bit crazy, I know, but I do want to try it again, but with better results!!!

      Delete
    3. Maybe you should be under the supervision of an herbalist that you trust when you detox or do something a little more gentle at first. Iridology and muscle strength tests tell a lot about what's going on. I have seen the muscle strength test; it is pretty amazing. You can also get a strand of hair evaluated that tells what substances are in your body. Don't give up. There has to be an answer. Take care.

      Delete
  5. A strong mind and a strong body go hand-in-hand. Nothing is impossible to the willing mind. Good for all those trying to stay in good health. It is hard not to over-indulge during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. We attach too much significance to the eating part of the holidays. I think many of us find it to be the excuse we need to overeat. Be careful out there today.

      Delete