Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, December 29, 2012

Getting Prepped

After the thing with my friends last night I went to the grocery store. I bought a rotisserie chicken. This morning I took the meat off the carcass (HATE that job) and am simmering the bones, skin, etc., in the crock pot. This evening I will use my slotted spoon to get all the "stuff" out of the broth, cool it, put it in the fridge so I can skim off the fat in the morning and make a wonderful chicken vegetable soup. I will simmer the broth, chicken, most of a stalk of celery, most of a bag of carrots, and onion. I am up for suggestions - what else would you add that is not a carb food? I am thinking maybe some lentils or quinoa. Though they are a carb I think their glycemic index is pretty low.

I also got all the fixins' for salads ready. I have stopped using lettuce as it goes bad too quickly for the greens and use all spinach - it lasts longer. Lettuce really doesn't have much nutrition in it as I understand. I also have these storage units from Tupperware that have vents in them so as to release the gasses that cause vegetables to spoil more quickly. There are also ridges in the bottom that keep vegetables from sitting in moisture. I recommend them. The largest Tupperware container has the lettuce, broccoli, celery, and carrots in it. I have a separate bowl with green onions and red/yellow/green bell peppers in it so I can use it in my salads and they can also be used in scrambled eggs. If you go to Tupperware's web site please order through Cris Floyd. I think she is still a distributor and she is my hairdresser. Great gal.

I bought a nice roast as well - $13!!!!! The price almost scared me away but we will get several meals out of it. If I get to our local Meijer at about 10 am they have marked all the meats down that are dated that day 20%. I usually stock up then and either bring it home and freeze it or cook it.

Be careful out there today.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how you feel about beans, but when I make chicken or turkey soup, I use cannellini beans in place of rice or noodles. Please let us know how the quinoa works out if you end up using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never cooked with quinoa before. I love beans but have stayed away from them for the most part with the low-carb. I do like cannellini beans because they hold their shape and don't mush up. They are great to use in roasted vegetables. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for welcoming me back, it is much appreciated! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's move forward together in 2013! Take care.

      Delete