Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Another One In The Books

We had a wonderful Christmas yesterday and I hope you did as well. It's nice for it to be over for another year and take a rest. We went to my Mom's first at noon and then Duane's sister's at 4 so it was a big day. I made several of my gifts this year. My niece and her daughter made me a gazing ball out of a bowling ball. They got the idea from Pinterest to take a bowling ball and glue pennies all over it. It is supposed to keep slugs away and keep hydrangeas blooming blue due to the copper in the pennies. Those kinds of gifts mean so much because I know as I make something for someone else I have that person in mind and now every time I see that gazing ball in my yard I will think of Farrah and Hailie.

I made a tote bag and put an apron in it that I made for my sister-in-law Marilyn who enjoys cooking. I need to make an apron for myself. How many times have I started cooking with good clothes on and gotten a grease spot on a top that I really like? Several.

I made tote bags for my sister Jenny and my cousin Sharon who lives in Florida. I have been making her something at Christmas now that we have found each other again and started exchanging pictures and letters. The tote bag is easy to mail. She knitted me some house slippers that I really love. They are so warm and fit great. I am going to tell her to make me another pair for next Christmas as I will probably have these worn out.

I made my nephew a coverlet that fits over a card table and makes it into a playhouse. There is a mailbox, windows with curtains, and a door. It's really cute if I do say so myself.  I put a Christmas card in the mailbox for him. He is 4 so he should get a lot of good out of it along with his little sister Sydney.

Today we are under a blizzard warning. I just a call to hang on before starting the ATM route because banks will probably be closing early and the roads are horrendous. I love being snowed in (as long as we don't lose power). I will be sewing most of the day. I am now working on a quilt I need to finish up from a class I took. Two other sisters-in law loved the apron I made for Marilyn so between finishing quilt projects I will be making them aprons. I will then have nieces, my sister, and others so I imagine I have gotten something started. One can be made in an afternoon, takes only 5 fat quarters so I figure I can finish a project, make an apron, finish a project, make an apron and on and on until I get one for those who want one.

I have a great family on both sides. My Mom who is 86 stayed here last night. She will probably be here again tonight due to the blizzard. She has a sister on life support in a hospital in Indianapolis. If Mom loses that sister it will be the fourth one and the second one within a year. I think the last sister's death helped bring on her last TIA so if we lose this sister I don't want her to be alone if she has another mini-stroke. There were 6 girls and there will only be Mom and one sister left. Life goes on.

Make sure your family knows you love them.



8 comments:

  1. I used the same title you did for my post this morning. :)

    It sounds like you had a really nice Christmas; those kinds of gifts that show the giver really knows the recipient and took the time to find or make something 'just right' are the best.

    Bad weather supposed to get going here late tonight; hope it's not as bad as predicted where you are. Nice that you have your mom with you.

    Here comes 2013...! :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's the best way to put it. I won't bore you with the "great minds" thing :-) I am looking forward to 2013 and getting these last 20 pounds off. Mom's last TIA weakened her quite a bit so we don't like her to be alone at her house. She does have a life alert necklace now and we check on her a lot. I don't blame her for not wanting to give up driving or for not wanting to move in with one of us but that day is coming. Be careful out there day.

      Delete
  2. I really like reading about your sewing projects and quilt retreats and such. My mom is a fantastic seamstress and quilter and the way you talk about your projects reminds me of her and all her little projects... always making a blanket or something for someone. Merry Christmas Myra!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mom is leaving remembrances all over the family. My goal is that every home in the family have a quilt from me as long as I can do them. I have several years left in me so I should be able to reach that goal. Merry Christmas to as well.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed being snowed in (and a paid day off work!). I hope you got a lot done. Prayers for your mom and her sisters, that is not easy. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being snowed in. Thanks for your kind words. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Nice projects and sounds like a fun holiday. I love the way you keep busy and don't let things get to you. I have lots of projects around the house to get onto, so I'd better stop reading blogs for today and get to some of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never a shortage of something to do is there. That's the way I want it. Take care.

      Delete