Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Enemy

I have treated my body like it was the enemy for most of my life. Something happens, there is a binge, and my body would pay for it. I took it out on my health. There were self-inflicted wounds to add to the ones that caused the binge in the first place. More wounds than I can remember.

Have you ever taken your anger/frustration out on the wrong person?

Lincoln said that the way to get rid of an enemy is to make a friend of him/her. What if I had wanted to be friends with this body that I live inside of rather than taking out my negative emotional life?

I have always been amazed at how much the body can take, how about you? Alcoholics, drug addicts, and overeaters place such demands on the body - the heart, lungs, brain, liver, joints, and every muscle in the body have had to fight for us when we didn't deserve it.

How do we treat an enemy? Do we ignore the enemy? Think about the enemy's demise? Do we do things that make life difficult for the enemy? What have our bodies done to deserve such treatment?

How do we treat a friend? Do we want what is best for our friends? Do we have positive thoughts about our friends? Do we look forward to good times with our friends? If someone was doing harm to your friend, would you step in and do something about it?

When a perfect stranger meets you for the first time does that person see your friend or your enemy? Scripture tells us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Shouldn't we fear trashing our home? Remember when you have fed a baby? Remember the love you communicated through the feeding of that child?

How about treating our bodies like our BFF?

6 comments:

  1. Reading my mind again Myra. Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing and making me feel so not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Treat your body well! Take care.

      Delete
  2. Staying healthy is the best health care plan out there. They only give us one body. Take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are spare parts these days but keeping the original ones in good working order is still the best plan. Take care.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it is so strange how when things start to fall apart at all in my life I immediately go to self abuse. It's almost like where others left off, I picked up over the years. Still, there's no excuse. As an adult I can choose to be my BFF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Choose" is a critical word here. There's a lot of pain for some of us to get to the point where we are able to choose wisely because the path to self-abuse is well worn and familiar. The fight was hard but so worth it. Take care.

      Delete