Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, November 16, 2012

Crutches

Nothing is more desirable than to be released of an affliction, but nothing is more frightening than to be divested of a crutch.   -James Baldwin

Is the fear of giving up a crutch keeping us from being released from our afflictions?

A crutch is only to be used for a brief period. Do we want to be on crutches for the rest of our lives? Shouldn't we want to get rid of them ASAP?

What crutches have you given up? What crutches do you hang on to?

I am addicted to sugar.
I am addicted to food.
I am addicted to eating.
I cannot exercise.
My family does not support me.
I am a stress eater.
I am too old.
My poor physical condition keeps me like I am.
Others can eat all they want and not gain an ounce, I bite my fingernails and gain 5 pounds.
I cannot pass up candy.
There is always junk in the break room.
My husband/wife expects me to sit down and eat with him/her.
I have to keep chips in the house for the kids.
I always make candy at Christmas.
I don't like water.
It was on sale.

Did I miss any?

Are there any compulsive overeaters who don't want to be free of the consequences of their disease? No one wants to suffer the effects of obesity and/or enslavement to food. But the real question is, "am I willing to give up the temporary oblivion food provides?" That crutch enabled me to hobble through life when nothing else seemed to help.    Nov. 9 OA Daily Reading

Be careful out there today.


8 comments:

  1. I held onto my crutches (excuses) for years! I'm finally free, and this time it will be forever. I'm no longer a self induced cripple. I'm a healthy able woman and I plan to stay that way:) You're awesome Myra. Love your no nonsense reminders:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we lived closer so that I could meet you in person. You are always careful to be thankful and to express it to others. I appreciate you as well. It has been a joy to watch you change into the beautiful person you "uncovered". Take care.

      Delete
  2. Hi Myra, here's one I used: I am genetically predisposed to be big. My mom was big, her mom and dad were big, as were a couple of her siblings, and 3 of my siblings are big. We can't change our DNA. I truly thought this was what defined my shape. Not the daily Hostess 6 pak of mini-powdered donuts and the bottle of Coca-Cola used to wash it all down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one. Thank you for pointing it out because that is one I have used myself - "big boned". We don't inherit the obesity but we do inherit our build; we learn eating and exercise habits from those around us. Many of us have come through dysfunctional homes that have hindered the self-esteem needed to maintain an appearance that reflects who we are. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  3. Yep. No one wants to give up their crutches. America proved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great analogy. People will vote for a lifestyle they are not willing to earn. Watch in 2016 the Democrats will campaign that the Republicans will take away health care if they are elected. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn. We each have to examine ourselves from time to time and get rid of crutches! Take care.

      Delete