Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, October 8, 2012

Quilt Retreat

We left Thursday at 9 a.m. I had my usual Raisin Bran muffin for breakfast.  There are always refreshments at my Quilt Club meeting which we went to at 9:30 a.m. before hitting the road for a 3.5-hour drive to Archbold, Ohio where the Quilt Retreat was being held at Sauder Village. There were a few sweets and some fruit. I had one slice of a Mutzu apple (very good) and a sprig of green grapes. After our meeting many were going to a salad luncheon at a local church but Carol and I decided to get going and stop and eat on the way. We stopped at a Mexican Grill where I had a taco salad (no tortilla bowl). I did have a few chips and salsa there. I drank water. We arrived at our hotel and walked to a restaurant that was close for dinner. I had a piece of grilled cod, a small dinner salad, and a broccoli/cauliflower vegetable mix. I picked out the croutons on the salad and had water to drink. There were these huge yeast rolls brought to our table at dinner. It wasn't even a temptation but they were beautiful. Carol ate one of them and the other was left alone.

Friday. There was a continental breakfast included with  our hotel room. I put one of my Quest Nutrition Bars in my purse as a back-up just in case it was just sweet rolls and muffins which continental breakfasts often are. The area we visited first just had a crock-pot full of bread pudding (NO), bread for toasting and waffles to toast (NO), coffee cake/cookies/sweet rolls (NO). We walked around a corner and there were some cereals to choose from, and yogurts and fruits on ice. Better. I figured since I usually had a Raisin Bran muffin for breakfast a small bowl of Raisin Bran would be OK. I also had a bowl of citrus fruit (grapefruit/oranges) and some decaf coffee.

When my stomach growled I ate my Quest Nutrition Bar. Carol then got hungry and we went with two other gals for lunch and I had a salad. I did try something new at the salad bar. They had pickled hard boiled eggs. I have seen them many times and admired the pretty purple color but had not tasted them. I got two of them and thought they were pretty good. Supper was provided through a buffet. When I read the menu it read lasagna and vegetable lasagna with garlic bread. OH NO. I did have some grapes from the snack table that afternoon. I was mentally planning to just have salad and then get some dark chocolate covered almonds from the snack table for a protein but when I got there there were hot vegetables (carrots, green beans) in addition to the salad so instead of getting a salad plate at the beginning of the line I had someone pass me back a dinner plate which I filled with salad, green beans, and carrots. The desserts were nice but I have lost my taste for sweets.

Saturday. 

Breakfast. Raisin Bran, Citrus Fruit

Lunch. Spinach Salad, Pulled pork.

Supper. Ham wrapped in bacon w/sweet potato, salad

Sunday.

Breakfast. Raisin Bran, Citrus

 There was a gyro buffet for lunch so I just had the lamb and chicken with the fixin's but without the bread and fruit cup for dessert (melons, grapes).

Quest Nutrition Bar on the ride home. (3.5 hours)

Supper - 2 Wasa crackers with almond butter and 1 square of dark chocolate.

Later I had some roasted almonds but I am like Leigh over at Poonapalooza - I can easily eat too many which means they have to go. My biggest problem is eating too much of the right things.

I have decided to wait until this next Sunday to weigh since I missed this morning and would like the week to settle back in to my routine. I fell a little short on the water and quilting is not exactly an aerobic activity. When I got home that was my first real urge to overeat. Didn't. After I had eaten Nathan came in with two pizzas. Had none.

Take care.







17 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! I'm wondering if you stayed at Heritage Inn & ate at the Barn right there on the Sauder Village campus.

    My parents still live in Archbold - just a footpath away from Sauder Village. (Hubby and I also lived there a few years....) What a small world.

    I'm impressed at how you soldiered through the eating part of the quilt retreat! Did you get a lot accomplished?

    When ARE we going to get together? (I saw earlier that you met your son at Portage. That would work for me.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Quilt Retreat was at the Heritage Inn and we did eat at The Barn. I got a great deal done in the three days. We met Isaac at Portland (we take 27N from here) which would work for me as well. I am also 65 miles from Indianapolis if that would be a better fit. Just let me know and we will make plans!

      Delete
    2. I live just outside of Fort Wayne (not sure which direction you are from Indy.....

      Delete
    3. Well - it would be better for us to meet in Portland. That's about halfway. There's a Mexican Restaurant called Bandido's there. Let's make plans!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you did a perfect job eating while away. That can be so difficult! I can quilt a little bit but would love to be able to do more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find a local quilt shop and take some classes or they may know of a local quilt group for you to join and they will teach you. There is a YouTube video for anything you want to learn. I get such pleasure from giving away what I make. I have to keep a quilt for myself. Take care.

      Delete
  3. LOSING WEIGHT sucks!!!!!! But being over weight and unhealthy sucks even more! You did great Myra...especially when faced with a situation you had little control over. Although you did plan just in case which, as you know, is key. Great Job:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are my soul sister for losing weight :-) Losing weight does become a "grind" at times but it is not hard as I read from someone. Chemotherapy is hard. Beating a heroine habit is hard. Conquering alcoholism is hard. Compared to those things losing weight is easy. It's our mindset - and since it is a lifestyle change this is for life so we might as well get used to it. I know I feel better. I know you feel better. It's all good. Take care.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you did great on your eating!! Just goes to show that with a little planning it's possible to eat right while traveling and all sorts of situations. You just have to want it enough :o) My mom also goes to Quilt retreats and she's disgusted with all the constant eating... she just wants to quilt lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Mom is right. Everyone was to bring a snack to share and there was a table full of junk with the exception of the grapes and my friend that went with me took some dark chocolate covered almonds which could pass as a healthy snack. You should have seen the group that left to go get ice cream in addition to all the snacks and meals - obese every one. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Great navigation and staying on plan. Very important choices to put yourself first. Karen P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly comes down to what we want the most. I could have done a lot of damage from Thursday through Sunday if I had made the decision to take some "time off". It would have been so discouraging not only to come back and have to re-lose weight but also to fight the cravings that I would have created by eating like a fool. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Dieting takes discipline, and as I've discovered - dieting, traveling and blogging about it, takes discipline to a whole other level. My wife wants me to lose weight, but she doesn't want me to choose healthy eating when we travel out of town. Then she feels punished, because if I choose to eat healthy then she feels guilty if she does not, and then it becomes a war of wills. She wants to break mine down, so she can enjoy eating desserts and whatever. Sometimes she almost sounds like a drug dealer; C'mon, a little won't hurt...it'll be fun. Just try it this one time, no one will know. Let's split this dessert, that's only half the sugar and calories. Then the threats, if you want some later, I want some now. Oh the pressures of trying to eat healthy and establish a healthy weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start off by saying this is none of my business but you are the man of the house and the authority as per God's plan. She can act like you don't get any but you can also act like you don't want it. I would be proactive before the next travel event and make it clear how you feel about this and that you need her help not her sabotage. Absolutely do not give in to her manipulation. Tell her she is contributing to your poor health this way. This is making me mad so I will stop. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Marc.. I read this a couple hours ago and it's still bugging me. My husband tried to sabotage me (in the most passively passive aggressive way possible) a few years ago with some ice cream. I'm still mad about it.. obviously lol. It ended up with me throwing it all in the garbage months later, which is what I should have done when he brought it in the door.

      My (unsolicited) advice to you: As you know your wife well, in a way that you know is filled with kindness and affection.. and in a way to make it crystal clear to her.. you need to tell her to STFU in regards to this stuff. If she's not on board with you, that's ok. She doesn't have to be.. you can still eat healthy foods with someone who doesn't. My husband still eats all kinds of junk, but not nearly as much as he used to! But if she is flat out sabotaging your efforts, you have to make your case clear and then get her to leave you alone about it in the very least. Her eating issues are not yours, nor vice versa.

      When we learn how to eat for ourselves and our health, and not for other people or their opinions, then we've won half the battle. That leaves only yourself to fight with... which is even harder to conquer.

      Delete
    3. Well ladies, I appreciate your thoughts on this matter. I had no idea that sharing my own situation would get this kind of response. Myra, I'll explain to her before our next road trip what my eating plans are and we'll see what unfolds. Lisa, I'm glad you found my blog and vice-versa. I told my wife there's a lady hulu-hooper in a traveling circus that's now one of my followers. (When my wife hears follower - she thinks Manson, as in cult) So guess who's hulu hooping now? That's right, the Mrs. Marc. She's trying to get up to 3 1/2 continuous minutes to tie my time on video.

      Anyway, thank you both for your comments and thoughtful insight. Backup is always appreciated:)

      Delete