Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, September 9, 2012

Today's the Day

As you can see to the right I have posted for all the world to see my weight as of this morning. It's about where it has been for a few weeks now. I haven't been paying real close attention and this is a good sign for maintenance if I can hang around the same weight and live life using my new habits.

Just one thing - I am not at maintenance yet.

A little accountability will be good for me. Some of you are so good about posting your food and water intake as well as your exercise. I am going to do a little better but will not be journaling or planning ahead too much as that becomes another chore for me and one that I do not enjoy at all - kind of like housework. I have lost 47 pounds now with the new habits I've created so I can go the rest of the way I am sure.

I was going to do the 30 day Practical Paleo thing and have given up dairy for the most part. I have finished off the yogurt and the cottage cheese and won't replace it. I am drinking black coffee. I am using almond milk in my smoothies but they have the whey protein powder in them and I guess that's a grain? I also put the flax meal in them as well as some chia seeds. I am not willing to give up my morning muffin with the recipe I have posted that uses the box of raisin bran and stevia in the raw for the sugar and whole wheat flour for the white flour. They are small and I have one each morning with my pills and those carbs keep me from getting tired. The rest of the day is lean meats and vegetables. I have some dark chocolate for a dessert. A stick of sugarless gum also works for me as a dessert. I guess my food plan would better be called low-carb rather than Paleo. I also like the Quest Nutrition Bars especially when on the road a lot driving to fix ATM's (like the 10 hours I spent doing this yesterday). They are easy to eat while driving. BUT they are processed food.

I have made my own trail mix with nuts/seeds/mini dark chocolate chips/either raisins or dried cranberries. A  serving is 1/2 cup and is very satisfying.

Water is not a problem for me. I am going to step aerobics 3 times a week and will add (not plan to add) some sessions of the No. 1 Fat Burning Exercise. The step aerobics and No. 1 Fat Burning Exercise should be enough.

The above got 47 pounds off of me. I guess it can get the next 25 off as well.

Hope all of you have a wonderful, blessed Sunday.

19 comments:

  1. You are doing so well. Keep up the great work and the next 25 pounds will come off :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been following your success as of late as well. Glad to read that getting out of the house has been a plus for your efforts. We just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other, one day at a time, and we will reach that number on the scale that we long for. Take care

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your progress. I have an unlimited veges and meat diet and I have to say that it is really good. Both, of course are appetite suppressants. I have found that the second half of the journey is easier than the first half (as measured in pounds/kilograms). That's because you know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, in your case we're talking the last 1/3 compared with the first 2/3. Even better!

      Delete
    2. Good thought - second half being easier because you know you can do it. I like that and I like the 1/3 is all that's left and 2/3 is already in the history books! Take care.

      Delete
  3. Have you tried adding the chia to your muffin recipe? I also make a muffin each morning (so I can get down my vitamins :o) and I've found the chia (I use the ground chia seeds) makes it super moist and adds extra fiber. I also use hemp fiber, but have to be careful as it tends to make things drier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to find some ground chia seeds and add them to my next batch - sounds good because my muffins are a little dry but I still enjoy them. I feel tired with no grains in my diet - I think that's where the B vitamins are? I know my sister has had the roux-n-y bypass surgery and she has to take Vit. B 12 shots for the rest of her life. Thanks for the advice. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if chia would be considered a grain?? it's a seed.. probably like algae lol. I bet Norma knows :oD I take vit B12.. and D, C, biotin, calcium, and a pre natal cause my hair is so damn thin.

      I think it would be super delish to add some applesauce to my muffins, but I haven't added any fruit back into my diet yet. Or some blueberries would be good too.

      Delete
    3. I have read that you can replace 1/2 the fat with applesauce in recipes. Fat, though, makes things more satisfying and the food stays with you longer while the applesauce would be a carb and for me that can mean a craving panic type of hunger. I think you just gently fold blueberries into the batter at the end or it might be better if they are frozen. I found they made the whole batch a bluish, greenish, unappetizing color when I added them. Just try it I guess.

      Delete
  4. Whey is actually dairy, not grain. If it's whey protein isolate, it's pretty clean and good source of protein, so if you enjoy it and the smoothies help you stay on track with your eating, my opinion is that it's okay to include it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a purist. That's why I call my food plan low-carb rather than Paleo. Aren't the B vitamins in grains? I think that's why I feel tired when on Paleo or Atkins. I wonder if I would adapt after a while but don't like the tired feeling. I do take a vitamin but really feel we should get our nutrients from food if at all possible. There are blood sugar problems in my family and I have attributed the tiredness to that but don't want to give myself an excuse. All the males on my dad's side of the family were/are diabetic but just a couple. It's weird. I do love those smoothies. Usually I am not satisfied when I don't chew something but they are so thick and yummy that they do the trick. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
  5. Lots of b vitamins are in turkey , tuna, liver, meat, salmon and more. And it's why vegetarians are often b vitamin deficient. I think the b sullpents in RY surgery is a physical problem where the changes with the surgery make it difficult for b vitamins to absorb.

    Anyhoo, it's great that you are low carbing it. I've had the most awesome success with keeping my carbs 50-100 for loss and 100-150 for maintnence. And it should help to keep your bloods sugar lower with fewer spikes, esaecially if diabetes runs in your family. See what the next 30 days bring. You may be amazed at what you feel like you can give up ( all grains) later in the process. Each month that goes by , I get pickier and pickier about what non-paleo foods I will eat.

    Best news ever- paleo/primal is awesome for weight maintnence , too. Good luck with it all. Cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great information. Thank you. I have been keeping my carbs below 100 as well. I did read an article that after losing weight we should not add back carbs but eat more proteins and vegetables when at maintenance. Like you, I don't miss the grains I have given up. I really don't miss carbs. A pie or plate of cookies can be around and it doesn't bother me. Never thought I would see the day. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Can I ask why you have to give up dairy? It's such a great source of protein, calcium, vitamin D, and folate. My bariatric dieticians are big on low carb, except I can have as much milk as I want (keeping in mind that my pouch won't hold that much, I'm sure that's part of the reason they say that). Is it the carbohydrates in milk that make it a no-no with the Paleo diet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best answer is milk contains lactose - milk sugar. I have also read that dairy products create a mucus in the gut. I will ask Norma though - she knows all this stuff.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jennifer:
      Myra asked me to help w/this question - here is a decent link with the run-down on dairy:

      http://paleodietlifestyle.com/place-of-dairy-on-paleo-diet/

      For info on Paleo eating in general, the most trusted source is:

      http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/

      Like with wheat gluten, a lot of people are sensitive (if not completely intolerant or allergic) to components of dairy and eliminating it for 30 days as the Whole 30 prescribes might indicate if you are one of those people.

      Good luck!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your reply. I'm not interested in doing the Paleo diet, I was just curious. If milk's good with my bariatric surgeon, it's good with me! :-)

      Delete
  7. You got this chicka. - Personally I gave up dairy just because of the hormones, but I've found it a little easier than I thought since I discovered almond milk, unsweetened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy almond milk as well for my smoothies. You are doing so great Rae Rae - new digit right around the corner. Woo-Hoo. Take care.

      Delete