Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, September 7, 2012

The Pied Piper

We are getting a lot of mileage out of the latest post of one our favorites known affectionately as The Big Train Wreck by Norma. I call her The Pied Piper because of the way she gets others to comment and follow. It's pretty amazing how good she is at the game she has made out of losing weight. She will never lose her weight - guaranteed. She is getting too much out of being obese. If she steps on the scale, her followers swoon. If she decides perhaps she might exercise, her followers act like she is the first one to have considered that this might be a good thing. Each time she starts again, we can almost hear gasps of adoration. She's good. Her posts are very well written and she writes in a way that would make you think she really has it together and knows what she is doing. She doesn't.

She knows all the trite expressions that we use to validate another "slip up" I believe was the term used.  That week of eating junk food that has finally brought her to her senses is her latest new beginning. She does have a beautiful smile, has been on Richard Simmons to exercise, and has carried the banner for the obese and airplane seats. She has been on TV for that as well.

She always ends her posts with a question which pretty much ensures several adoring comments to feed her ego. Considering the number of followers she has she does get comments galore. She takes down the comments of those who really have constructive criticism and good advice. That's not what she wants. I commented today about her efforts need to be consistent and the slogans she uses such as "she is more than a number on the scale", "not going to beat herself up", "she's OK with it", and so many other overused expressions that are not solutions are empty words. I also asked her how many times this cycle has been repeated.

There are people who are really trying and are in this very cycle. She is not trying. I was in that cycle and fought that battle. I follow people who binge eat and they are very bothered by it. Truly bothered. They fight it. They will one day win if they don't give up, take constructive criticism, and listen to good advice. It is easy to tell who is serious and who is not.

I think it's important that we understand how we can fool ourselves. She has no intention of losing her weight. I don't think she knows this but the rest of us do.

OK - now I have to think of a question so I will get a lot of comments. I am drawing a blank. You can comment anyway :-)

15 comments:

  1. You are amazing, awesome, and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny :-) That would be music to the ears of The Pied Piper wouldn't it? I'm brave too though. I often step into the uncharted waters of self-discipline and carry the flag for all to see as a beacon of what can be done for a day or two. I will then have a cupcake at which time I have my slogan all ready to go. I just have to figure out which one fits this time. Take care.

      Delete
  2. You are SO right...
    (Now, I'm probably really naive - but is there really an actual "Norma" or is this a compilation of sevearl weight-loss characters?!?!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Norma @ http://notnormajean.blogspot.com/. You should stop by. She is a very outspoken, passionate, and committed weight loss blogger. There are a few faux weight loss bloggers who give us all kinds of topics. I am not pointing out the ones who struggle and keep at it but the ones who just want to make friends and play pat-a-cake. Take care.

      Delete
    2. Awww, Myra; thanks for the mention & Rebecca, c'mon over & visit. I warn you, though: the kitchen does get hot from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Don't beat yourself up for not being able to think of a question. Just get back on the horse.

    I think you should ask how people treat constipation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with it. Tomorrow is another day and I am more than just a question at the end of a post :-) Hope the constipation clears up. We are more than just turds in the bowl. This is getting to be fun but I had better stop. Take care.

      Delete
    2. LOL!!!!! You are absolutely right! We are more than just turds in the bowl! I know exactly who you're talking about and I agree 100%.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by Leigh. We have been having a lot of fun with The Pied Piper aka TBTW. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Remember, if you have nothing to offer in the arena of nutrition, exercise, or weight loss, you can always write a cheery post about something along the lines of, "You guys, who are your current celebrity crushes? LOL!" or post photos of some designer brand nail polish and ask people to vote on which one you should get for your mani & pedi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am kind of warming up to Beth's idea of asking about constipation. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for 'outing' people like this. I nominate Lyn on her blog "Escape from Obesity". I followed her blog for a year. She repeats the same complaints and issues every week. Refuses to seek appropriate medical care and or theraputic support. Her readers have pointed this out every week as well. I think it is like a Munchausen Syndrome thing...agree with you. Pitiable really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been fun with the blogger we have been razzing. Lyn is another who has been nicknamed Amtrack I believe. What boggles my mind is the number of followers!!! Over 2,000 for Lyn and this gal we have been having some fun with has over 400 I believe. I do think we have to be careful not to be insulting but just have some good-hearted fun. These are real people who have feelings. Neither one of them is calling out other bloggers but have a "live and let live" attitude I think. I think the followers and commenters have more of an issue than the bloggers. Misery loves company I guess. Take care.

      Delete
    2. I think Lyn is TBTW and Kenlie is the Amtrak but I could be wrong.

      Delete
    3. You are right. I had them mixed up. Thanks for pointing it out though. Take care.

      Delete