Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Golay Center

I got to The Golay Center at 8 a.m. like I said I was going to do. I had the weight and cardio area all to myself. I was the only one there.

I spent 1/2 hour on the elliptical. I had forgotten how boring it is on the elliptical. I really didn't expect to be able to do the entire 1/2 hour because even though I have been exercising doing something different is usually difficult at first. I got a little winded at 20 minutes and was considering stopping but decided to slow down and see if I could get my second wind which I did.  I had been going at about a 5.6 - 5.8 mph pace for the first 20 minutes which I guess is about the rate of a jog. I have read that brisk walking is 3 - 4 mph so I slowed down to that to get my second wind and then my rate started going  back up as I was able to swallow my heart :-) I ended up going 3 miles in 30 minutes. The elliptical wasn't exactly smoking.

I then did some work with the free weights and also did some floor work. I spent an hour there. One of my goals is to be able to hold a plank for 2 minutes as my book by Martina Navratilova suggests. I can do 45 seconds before I have to rest so I have some work to do. I really want to do this as the plank is one of the best exercises as it works all the muscles at once. I am all for that.

The music was awful in addition to being way too loud. I felt like I was in hell. I call it angry music and they are yelling rather than singing. I couldn't find where I could change it to something easier to listen to so next time I will ask at the desk before going down to the weight room if we can change it to something like classic rock or oldies or anything but the music from hell. I saw a T-shirt once that read, "If it's too loud, you're too old." I guess I am too old.

I have to remember to take my own support belt next time for my back. I thought there would be some there to use. I will also have to take my knee bands. They are great. They are just bands that are placed around the leg just below the knee and they help keep the patella in alignment. My lower back is always sore so I try to use some support. I lay on my SpineWorx which helps get my back back in line. You might google it and see if it could help you if you have lower back pain like I do.

The Golay Center opens at 1 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday). I may even take what I need to shower and change into fresh clothes. Who knows, I might be a gym rat before long. I better take advantage of it now before the New Year when the place will be packed for about a month with all the resolutions people. It doesn't last long thankfully. Nathan (son #1) hates that time because of the people there who are obviously not going to last and are just in his way. He has a shirt that says, "Shut up and train." He takes his weight lifting seriously and has the school bench press record of 405 lb. He is 35 now and set that record when he was a senior. We aren't expecting it to be broken.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment