Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Friday, September 28, 2012

Setting Standards

Do you respond better to high standards that you cannot reach or to standards that are easily met? I think we need to look at the standards set by others and evaluate ourselves and our ability to set and reach our own standards. Do we set our standards too low if we set any at all and if we do set standards, are we easily persuaded to put them aside?

Why are standards important anyway?

When we fall short of our own stated standards and are out there on the internet should we be surprised if someone calls us out over it? There are many reasons for falling short. I don't think any of us can state that it has been a straight shot to reaching our final goal. Is it better to be encouraged over repeated failures or to be told to get our act together and also how to do that? We cannot fool others for very long - there's a saying - you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Read Al and Norma for what I mean here. They both take heat for being "in your face" with the truth and neither has much patience for immaturity and hypocrisy. I cannot reach the standards set by Norma regarding her workouts. I don't want to reach the standards set by Al's weight loss plan. Neither is for me. I have a lot of respect for both of them and read them each time they blog. 

I have my own standards. I exercise regularly and follow a low-carb eating plan. I drink 8 glasses of water a day and then other liquids like tea and coffee - no pop or artificially sweetened drinks. I do not weigh or measure food. I do not journal. I don't count calories or figure points.

I think those who are insulted by bloggers who are serious about what WE claim to be serious about as well should get a little thicker skin. We should all show respect to others but we must also realize that respect must be earned by our actions. Our actions are what show how true we are to any standards we claim to have. If someone blogs with the stated intention of being accountable and getting help then that person doesn't have much reason to be insulted if another blogger holds them accountable or if the help doesn't come wrapped up in a pretty package with a bow. Don't follow the people who aren't a "fit" for your sensibilities. We can all find a group of bloggers suited to our own set of standards.

Personally, I am inspired by standards that are just out of reach or standards that I don't think I can meet but then surprise myself by doing better than I thought I could. It's also nice to be able to know a standard is reachable with some commitment on my part. I will never be an Olympic swimmer. That's just how it is. I will, however, get to a healthy number on the scale. It's about 25 lb. away. It's reachable. It's a standard I have set for myself.

This morning's weight was 180.5 - new digit right around the corner. I have a quilt retreat from Friday - Sunday of next week. There will be buffet meals and complimentary breakfasts that come with the hotel room. I am hoping to be in the new digit by the time we leave on next Thursday. It's over a 3 - hour drive so we are going the day before to get settled in our room (going with a quilting buddy), get everything unloaded and set up and that means another day of eating out. I can either see it as an excuse or a challenge.

I choose to see it as a challenge. If I don't I am afraid Al and Norma will get after me :-)

Be careful out there today.

12 comments:

  1. Awesome post, could not have said it better myself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jenn. Hope your healing is progressing as it should. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I am certainly one of those people who does best under pressure- by a long shot. The reason for that habit may not be a happy one- considering my past, but it is who I am. Without any pressure there just doesn't seem to be a reason for me work any harder. Whenever I'm in a sort of 'resting' state I don't get as much done and things get a little out of control. It is not a comfortable place for me.
    However, as my husband would tell you, this 'resting' state is rare. And my husband also says my standards are nearly unreachable. I don't mean to be harsh with anyone, including myself. I just truly believe that people rise to meet expectations. Without expectations, how do we know where our goal is?
    I do struggle with people who are lackadaisical and don't seem motivated by having expectations. I really do not know what to do with this type. I find I am turned off and don't have much time for these people.
    Good luck this weekend. I know you can do it. And enjoy the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about people rising to meet expectations. We all will go much farther if we understand what expectations are. AND if we respect the person who is expecting us to do our best we do even better. A healthy amount of pressure can be a good motivator. There can be too much of it and the kind we place on ourselves can be the worst. I hope you have found a healthy place as far as pressure is concerned. Take care.

      Delete
  3. As you said...you can always choose NOT to follow people who don't fit your "sensibilities"...

    Have a good (and healthy) time at the quilt retreat next week! I know you'll be wise in your food choices and will rise to the "challenge" of it!

    Congratulations on being so close to your "new digit"! How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited and motivated to get to the next digit by this next Thursday when we leave. That will be a little more motivation to meet the standards I have set while being there. I am 65 miles from Indy is you ever want to meet for lunch or dinner! Take care.

      Delete
    2. Which direction from Indy?!? Can you figure out a 1/2 point between your place & Fort Wayne?

      Delete
    3. I am east of Indy via I70 65 miles. I am very close to Richmond which is on the Ohio line. I thought Indy might be halfway for us. How far are you from Indy?

      Delete
  4. I just think, based on observation, that most people set the bar VERY low (not just weight loss, fitness, etc. but life in general) and settle for much less than they're capable of achieving. Like coasting through school getting C's when with a little effort you could get A's...or even B+'s. I used to be one of them: "I'll never be able to run a mile," "I'll never be in single digit clothing sizes," "I could NEVER give up (diet soda, cheese, peanut butter, pasta, baked goods or whatever)," "I could never exercise every day," and whatnot. Even when I was new to different types of workouts, I would think, "I'll never be able to lift that" or "I'll never be good enough to compete" or "I can't do a road race"...until a coach or fellow student encouraged me. Now I've surprised myself literally hundreds of times with even my minimal athletic accomplishments. What if I had been satisfied with leaving everything status quo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have so many regrets now that I look back on my life and realize I could have done so much better at so many things but was satisfied with mediocre. It can't be changed now but I can change the future into a better me. The future me will be better than the past me. Take care.

      Delete
  5. I think setting a goal that is a challenge, but is attainable is realistic. That is probably different for everyone. All of our bodies are different. If what you are doing is working for you, then you are doing the right thing. If you are on a yo-yo, then you know that it isn't working. However, I think that is pretty much the measure of setting all goals. Don't set yourself up for failure. But I think we enjoy challenging ourselves... at least, we do when we feel well. When I am feeling really poorly, I do not really need another challenge. But that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us are afraid to set challenging goals due to the fear of failure. Failure is how we learn to do many things through failure, learning from it, and going forward doing better. I think of just things like tying my shoes as a child, riding a bicycle, math - we all failed several times until we got it right. Fear of failure can keep us from doing many things, don't you think?

      Delete