Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, September 2, 2012

"Pressing" Matter

I have a coffee press. It's the big one - probably holds about 6 cups of water. I have been getting myself ready to do the 30-day Paleo thing and giving up cream in my coffee was going to be tough. Today I put 3 of the coffee scoops in my press, 1 T. cocoa powder, and 1 t. cinnamon - I think I can drink this without cream. I use half/half. Skim milk and almond milk just don't do it. You might try this and see what you think.

Serving sizes came to mind as I tried to determine how big my press is. We drink coffee out of a mug and I think coffee is measured in 6 oz. servings when it is expressed. When I first joined Weight Watchers I remember a serving of cereal was 1 oz. which isn't worth getting a bowl dirty for. We would always use things like puffed wheat, rice krispies, and special K because they looked like more in the bowl because those cereals were so light. It's important to think we are getting a lot of food. The kicker is unless things have changed a serving of cereal is 3/4 oz. now - really not worth getting a bowl dirty for. I remember when all of us kids were at home a box of cereal was maybe 4 servings at the most.

We give tours through the Mansion House in Centerville. It is where we had our quilt show and there are old dishes there. A serving size certainly was small back then just looking at the plates/saucers/cups.

I guess perhaps servings were smaller because it was harder to store food and leftovers??? Now we have refrigerators, freezers, those vacuum pack units, zip lock bags and many convenient ways to make it easy to cook larger amounts so that there WILL be leftovers for another meal. I remember at Grandma's house she would make a large mid-day meal and then throw a table cloth over the leftovers to be eaten on for the rest of the day - any of you have those memories? We loved to watch her kill those chickens :-)

Yesterday was a wedding in the family. The weather was threatening rain and sure enough there was some rain during the ceremony. They had built a walkway and a platform out over their pond for the wedding and had a big tent put up in the yard for the reception. Most people brought umbrellas and we had to use them but the neatest part was as they came back down the walkway after the vows, Kris turned around and sang to Karli right at the bottom of the walk. He was on the grass and turned around to her as she was at the last of the wooden walk. It was so romantic. They are both Christians and met when both were teaching in Uganda as part of a mission trip. He is from Brazil and she is from Indiana. I am so happy for them.

Be careful out there today.



4 comments:

  1. I had a thought about serving sizes the other day.

    Growing up, my family had 2 parents and 4 kids. I remember spaghetti nights consisted of 12 oz of spaghetti noodles, 1 6 oz can of tomato paste, seasoning, 1 can of water, and 1 pound of ground beef, and maybe a can of corn, and a slice of bread That's is. That's all we ate.

    Nowadays, that would almost be starvation rations for a family of six

    Funny how we change and decide we just need more to live on isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. You were all probably truly hungry for meals and enjoyed the meal together. Things have changed haven't they? Take care.

      Delete
  2. That wedding sounds lovely. I love when I can tell the couple planned more for the marriage than the wedding.
    I love all your randomness in this post. I hope you enjoy the paleo thing and yes, serving sizes are a big surprise to most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was rather random but sometimes that's how it goes. Take care.

      Delete