Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, September 23, 2012

Do We Fear Success?

***"Procrastination is the fear of success."
Denis Waitley 


(from jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Many have blogged about self-sabotage. I have been known to do that myself.

Subconsciously I do think we are afraid of success. There are some bloggers close to goal weight who are concerned about this very thing. The metamorphosis from morbid obesity to a healthy weight includes much more than pounds lost. Our mind has to come along for the trip as well and it is a lot harder to corral and treat. 

Our minds must get comfortable at the weight we have endured for years and fight to stay there. It can be the little devil on one shoulder whispering in our ears while the little angel on the other shoulder has to try and scream over him. He is the creature of habit while the angel tries to get us to see a better way.

Success can be threatening because the possibility of gaining our weight back and more creates stress. We have always treated stress with food. I remember fighting binges and then just going ahead because I knew I was going to do it anyway so I might as well get it over with.  Enough of that noise.

We are born with only two fears - the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. All the others have been learned - which means they can be un-learned. 

My weight held this week. I just continue---

I re-qualified with my weapon yesterday morning. I only had to do a couple of them over because I didn't get the required number of shots in the center area of the torso targets or because I didn't get the required shots done before I ran out of time. My most difficult one was where we walk up to the back of a barricade, draw our weapons and lean out to the right for two shots in two separate targets. That means we have to re-load quickly because we only have two shots left and need four for the other side. We reload, shift the weapon to the left hand, and do the same thing to the left of the barricade - finally got it - hit all 8 in the torso area.  Never fear, Myra's here.

Have a blessed Sunday.
 

13 comments:

  1. You are SUCH a badass!!! :) I've been procrastinating (!) getting my LTC for about two years now. Josh is an avid gun owner and I have gone to the range with him a couple of times and want to have my own weapon, etc...it's one of those things I haven't made a priority because there's no real urgency behind it. But definitely something I need to check off "the list" this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a badass for sure :-)You will have such a feeling of accomplishment when you pass the tests. We started out shooting from the hip at 3 feet. That was easy. We keep moving back to 20 feet, 30 feet, and then 50 feet and had to get at least 5 of the 6 shots in the torso area. We had to shoot in low light as well. One difficult one was when the 3 targets were flipped toward us, we had 6 seconds to draw our weapons and shoot each one twice. I had to take that one a couple times as well. I have to do this every year in October. Be careful out there today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SERIOUSLY impressive, Myra. Have a great Sunday yourself!

      Delete
  3. Awesome. Remind me not to piss you off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least don't piss me off when I have my weapon on my belt :-) Take care.

      Delete
  4. You are a woman of many talents & multiple interests! I'm impressed!

    Now embrace and welcome ALL your successes - including the progress in your weight-loss and healthy living :) Have a terrific week, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having more progress in healthy living than I am in weight loss progress at the moment but that's OK. Life is good. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Cripes! Is that what you have to do for your concealed carry in your state? I just got mine. =)
    I am now a proud CC of a 1911. Which isn't all that CC-friendly but it is bad ass. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My company, ATM Solutions, requires this training as we drive armored trucks stocked full of money and service ATM's which are also full of money. I am often out in the open with the safe of an ATM open so we have to be armed and able to use a weapon pretty well. Glad to learn you are also a badass! Take care.

      Delete
  6. You are even more awesome for being proficient with guns.
    All women should at least be familiar with weapons of many types. It can truly be a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world we live in makes this wise I think. We think it will only happen to other people but the news lets us know it happens pretty regularly. We live out in the country and one of us is usually always home. We have a German shepherd as well. We had to work with a semi-automatic, a shotgun, and then our own weapons. Take care.

      Delete
  7. Maybe you should start a Badass Club. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I could set up a shooting range out here. That should get the neighbors' attention. Take care.

      Delete