Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cooler Here

The heat has finally broken and we have gotten some relief from the drought. I love this weather - cool at night, comfortable all day in the 70's, low 80's. I am still mourning the loss of so many things in my yard due to the drought but I can't do a thing about it. In the spring, I'll know for sure how much has been lost.

I have been eating on more of a schedule and getting to bed at a decent hour and that has really helped my efforts. I have step aerobics this morning and then will be helping replant the large flower pots on the four corners of the main intersection in town with mums. I will be taking the geraniums we remove to save for next year. I have pretty good luck keeping geraniums over the winter in my mom's basement. One of the men on our garden tour for next year says he just puts them in a paper bag for over the winter. I have heard of hanging them upside down to save them. I just usually pack them tightly into a tub and my mom will splash some water on them occasionally for me when she is in the basement. In the spring they are stringy but perfectly alive and ready to snap off starts and then replant the main plant - you might try it.

The old wive's tale about bringing plants inside before the September wind blows on them is true. I heard it on a radio talk show about gardening or read it in a magazine. It gives them time to adapt to the indoor environment before the house heat is turned on. I will bring in my Christmas cactus on the first day of October and begin watering them. That usually encourages budding. They just get rain and whatever they get from the sprinklers all summer. Do not turn or move your Christmas cactus after it starts budding or the buds will fall off. They are very touchy.

Yesterday's eats were my usual muffin for breakfast, tuna salad on Wasa crackers for lunch with a little dark chocolate for dessert, and then nuts and a banana for supper - not too exciting but then I tend to eat basically the same things a lot. I will get in a few more vegetables today. As long as I try a new recipe a couple times a week I'm good. I have been getting hungry to the point of the dull headache. It may just be something I have to endure. I get in my water pretty easily. My back was really sore yesterday for some reason so I didn't exercise.

Take care.

8 comments:

  1. I gave up on wintering geraniums...don't even buy them anymore - but I sure like seeing them in other peoples' flower beds :)

    I'm so sorry about your dull headaches. (I've had one the past couple of days, but am also running a low grade fever so don't think it's from hunger. They are NO fun.)

    I don't think it is something you should learn to live with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll wait to see my weight loss this Sunday and go from there. I may have to tweak my food a bit and add a snack here and there. A hard boiled egg or some almonds morning and afternoon shouldn't slow me down too much. You could go ahead and get geraniums and treat them as annuals if you enjoy them and then give them to somebody like me at the end of the season or let someone else watch them for you. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't sound like you're eating enough to me, Myra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to add a Quest Nutrition Bar today to help with the dull headache and being somewhat tired. Take care.

      Delete
  3. It didn't rain here for two whole weeks while I was gone in Palm Springs. Who knew that could even happen in the Northwest?! The only things that are still thriving in my flower pots after that treatment are the geraniums! Tough little buggers.
    It is hard to get it down to true intuition while we work through the eating. After being off track for so many years, I guess it's natural to need to work at it for awhile. I know you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to save geraniums over the winter. It saves money to be able to get starts off the old plants and then replant and they take off. I do have trouble finding the balance between carbs and energy. It's hard to find exactly where the point is of having enough carbs to avoid being tired and few enough carbs to lose weight. Thanks for the encouragement. Take care.

      Delete
  4. One of our neighbors moved a year ago and gave us a Christmas cactus she had for some time. It didn't bloom last year, I need to read up on how to care for it. Now peace lilies are a different story- I am the queen of the peace lily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love flowers - indoors and outdoors. There is an abundance of information on the Christmas cactus. My husband's grandmother had one in a bucket that was huge. She set it outside all summer under a persimmon tree. It would burst into bloom when she brought it in and began watering it. I do know they like to be rootbound. Take care.

      Delete