Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Sunday, September 30, 2012

Are You An Independent Thinker?

Reading Kenlie's most recent post concerning the Medifast question brought something to mind that I have been mulling over. The person who asked Kenlie the question about Medifast made the statement that she was considering walking away and doing it herself.

I was talking to another person about a month ago in her home about how I have been losing my weight - low-carb, exercise, water. She has tried many things and bought books and joined this and that and ordered this and that - you know the drill. I just said to her, "You already know what to do." She had this look on her face that said to me, "I know I do."

Are the most successful among us the ones who independently educated themselves, made decisions based on past experience and watching others, and then made their own plan and then worked the plan? I read of so many people who have to know what they need to do but persist in searching for that book, that plan, that piece of equipment - something that will tell them what to do so they don't have to think or do it themselves. Do they really want to lose weight and be healthy or is this a way to get attention for their plight? I truly feel sorry for those who struggle because I have struggled. I truly feel sorry for those who binge because I used to binge. There has to come a time when we personally reach the point where we say "ENOUGH". Some of us get there sooner than others. The lifestyle change that is absolutely necessary in my opinion doesn't need to start with another diet plan. The first three letters of diet are DIE. They don't work; we already know that don't we? Rather, why not commit to eating only lean meats, fruits, and vegetables. I personally feel we need a few carbs to keep from getting tired and there are carbs that can supply those needs without a blood sugar spike. Make your own rules, exercise 3 - 5 times a week, and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (more is better but at least get in 8). I wonder how many times this information has been blogged about? I wonder how many people still don't do it.

How can anybody  not know how to lose weight or find good information or at least find the successful people and get advice? People who are smart enough to operate a computer and get on the internet and create a blog already know what to do.

Warning: there is a little profanity here.

Whining

End of sermon.

Take care.

14 comments:

  1. Amen.

    That was me. I always thought there would be an easier way, or a better way (for me) or another way that I would have better results doing. Sometimes I would just go with whatever my coworkers or friends were doing just to have some fun and compare notes. I guess it's all a learning process. And when we have learned enough, we realize we knew what to do. As you said. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a learning process and I wonder if I was blogging during my struggling years if I would have been offended by some of the more "matter of fact" bloggers. Probably. It doesn't help them to sugar coat the facts. You and your husband are in my prayers. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Are the most successful among us the ones who independently educated themselves, made decisions based on past experience and watching others, and then made their own plan and then worked the plan?

    YES!

    Excellent link in your post. Same stuff we (those who get it!) are all saying. Thank gawd I'm not stuck in a cubicle with those women like that guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would get old listening to that I am sure. It becomes a part of their identity to commiserate and they probably wouldn't know what else to talk about since this is what they have in common. Maybe that guy will blow up and state the facts but that might not be a good move at work :-) Take care.

      Delete
    2. I know.. I'd probably be fired lol. There's no way I couldn't say something. But that's how I roll :oD I've been called blunt more than once.. but never a bitch. So I've got that goin for me lol.

      Delete
    3. At least not to your face you haven't been called that :-) Those who voice their opinions are called all kinds of names. The work environment can be fragile and we have to pick our battles. I guess I would take an amused stance or joke around with them while making a point. We can get by with a lot of things with a smile on our faces don't you think? Take care.

      Delete
  3. I know what you are saying. The humbling part of it is that I was once "there" myself. There is a HUGE gap between head knowledge and will power. And I have not always been successful in bridging it.

    I am SO thankful for my current "success" (or as I prefer to call it "grace"). I wish it for ALL who struggle and constantly remind myself, "So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!" (I Corinthians 10:12).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to remember not to be too smug myself because I have been there and could be there again. We have to stay humble, be willing to help, and be frank with what we say without offending (at least try not to offend). It's also easy to spout off in a blog post but then soften when actually in a one-on-one conversation with someone who is struggling. We must always think the best of others and want what is best for them but this weight thing is something they have to do themselves. Take care.

      Delete
    2. You're right! This "weight thing" is something they (we) have to do them(our)selves".

      Delete
    3. That's what makes it so hard for some of us. Many are accustomed to "moving" rules and have been let slide concerning obligations/responsibilities and have difficulty with hard and fast rules. In general, our culture keeps throwing out the boundaries for behavior. Children are let get out of so much I am afraid and then become immature for life because they just can't toe the line and this must be done for weight loss. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Its easy to say such things once you are past the wall and have finally figured it out for yourself. Give me all the nutritional information and the how-to's in the world and that was never going to be enough to "fix" my binge eating. Its not a black and white issue in my eyes because its a psychological issue that has to be overcome. Im finding that its the rewiring of my brain that is the hardest part of it all.. has been and more than likely always will be. But I do agree 100% with your point on remaining humble. Theres a fine line between being helpful and matter-of-fact vs just being disrespectful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a fine line between helpful/matter of fact and disrespectful. The emotional/psychological part is the hardest by far and only stubborn determination will get us there. Respect is an important part of the influence we have on others. Take care.

      Delete
  5. It is that moment when you finally decide to stop looking for the easy route and just pull your panties up and DO IT that you realize it was there all along. Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we look back we wonder why it took us so long don't you think? The years I wasted being obese are a regret I will always carry but I am thankful that I did finally DO IT as you say. Can you tell I used to be a teacher? Be careful out there today.

      Delete