Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, August 18, 2012

What Are We Afraid Of?

I have wondered many times why it upsets me to get to a growl before eating. I am empty and have that hollow feeling that is hunger when on low-carb. When I get to that point just before the growl I can start feeling anxious. What is going on?

I try to reason with myself. It doesn't bother me like it used to but I still get that tenseness, that anxiety when trying to wait for the growl which is the only way to eat intuitively for me. If I eat reasonable amounts the growl comes back around like it should pretty much when it should. Am I afraid it won't and then I won't get to eat? I know I am usually driving or sitting around when the anxiety happens. If I am busy it is not such a problem at all.

I have read some blogs where people eat about 5 small meals a day. I read some blogs where people are concerned about having ONLY three meals a day.

We can start second guessing ourselves because we don't trust our bodies to let us know when food is necessary. We have become so out of touch with basic food needs. There are so many emotions attached to this most basic daily need. We do math. We plan ahead. We write everything down. We must have so much of this food, only this much of another, and none of that food. This disconnect causes so much stress. The food industry hasn't helped much. Uninformed people are gullible people. Didn't we all have Health in high school? I know there have been some issues and changes as far as the food pyramid and all that goes but we did learn about healthy food didn't we? We learned about calories and activity. At the time we probably didn't pay attention like we should have but there are many topics that we don't put to use until later in life that we learned in school.

One of the rationales for eating several small meals a day is to keep the metabolism at a steady pace and the blood sugar won't drop too far and then be spiked with a meal. I wonder what the real difference is between eating 3 meals a day and 5 meals a day. It doesn't seem to me like it could be a very significant amount if we have the same calories spread over 5 meals as opposed to 3 meals.

The person I read was going to try just eating three meals a day. I have read many who ponder this drastic measure :-) If we are out of control or making poor choices of course it is whether we are having 3 or 5 meals a day. It could also be whether our metabolism is messed up. And then of course it could be our plantar fasciitis acting up again (for you Norma).

I am working on a new project in the yard - a dry creek bed. It's going to be so great. I took a picture today of how much I have done. I also took some other pictures around the yard. I know you have been wondering when I would post another garden tour :-)


14 comments:

  1. Another problems is that there is so much conflicting research and opinions out there. Some "experts" say you should eat smaller meals, multiple times a day. Others say that three meals should be sufficient and help keep you in control. It just all gets confusing. I think this is yet another area that one needs to see what works best for themselves.

    I do agree that one needs to listen to their body and understand what signals it is giving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can educate ourselves and do what's best for our bodies and let the "experts" continue to muddy the waters. This is another plug for setting our own boundaries and following the basic rules of health. We don't have to get all scientific about it. I have learned a lot just reading other bloggers and none of them are "experts" with a bunch of letters after their names. They have just educated themselves and applied what made sense to them. It's not hard to understand the importance of nutrition, water, and activity for weight loss and maintenance. It was experts who told us eggs were not good for us and now they are. The experts were appalled at Dr. Atkins and his methods but he was the pioneer in low-carb eating which I think makes so much sense although I personally don't think the ketosis thing is necessary to get weight off. Again - I took what made sense to me and left the rest. We have a brain that will serve us well if we use it. Take care.

      Delete
  2. I can't agree more. We have to individually find what is best for us; what your individual body tells you. I think people are afraid to trust their bodies and themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW people are afraid to trust their bodies and themselves because one of the has been me. A set schedule for eating doesn't allow for intuitiveness and we grew up with basically breakfast at 7, lunch at noon, and dinner at 6. We weren't allowed to eat too close to a meal if we were hungry because that would spoil our appetites. The destruction of eating intuitively was compromised pretty early. Take care.

      Delete
  3. When I was doing high carb I found it best to eat 7 times a day. That way I never really get too hungry. Of course if you eat 7 times a day, each 'meal' would not have much substance to it, but that was a plus for me, since I am a bit of a 'grazer'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you were more hungry while eating a high carb diet and 7 meals a day kept you from going off the deep end. If that worked for you, great. High carb has never worked for me. I now know that. A grazer would be OK with 7 meals a day. There is something emotional for me to sit down and have a full meal and eat until satisfied (not stuffed). Take care.

      Delete
  4. With my metabolic disorder/insulin resistance, I think it is important to keep the blood sugar stable; this is not the case for everyone and I don't believe that intermittent fasting/5-6 small meals/3 "regular" meals or any schedule is necessarily a one size fits all. There is common sense, there is science and there is the fact that no two bodies function exactly the same. For myself or someone who does hour-plus intense workouts daily (the blogger to whom you're referencing), usually a small, balanced meal (protein + carb) is the rule of thumb that coaches, sports nutritionists and endocrinologists will stick with. For someone who is more sedentary (not doing a structured workout, desk job or less active day), the standard 7am/12 noon/6pm breakfast, lunch and dinner may be more appropriate -- unless that person is insulin resistant and five smaller meals spaced out would keep their insulin properly regulated, preventing fat storage. Occasionally delaying or missing a meal is not a health crisis for most people and a growling stomach should not be cause for panic -- unless the person is panic-prone and that growl will cause him or her to run for the vending machine, pump it full of quarters and run back to his desk with Ho-Ho's, potato chips, Oreos and a packet of trail mix because he will now over-eat to compensate for mild hunger. It takes some experimentation and learning to trust ourselves to see what works best. I like to say my late parents were "naturally thin," but the truth is they both smoked heavily (appetite suppressant) and my mother was a typical diet-pill popper in the 50s and 60s and until the pills were banned in the late 70s; neither of them ate more than a few bites of solid food all day and they both ate one-serving-of-everything dinners as their only real meal...so were they "naturally thin" or just extra careful about what they ate and employing chemical assistance to eat less?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if something before such a hard workout is warranted to prevent that hunger that comes from healing muscles and then something after to restore the necessary vitamins and minerals to prevent a craving hunger where it is hard to maintain control would be the way to go. It would then be a fuel thing rather than a hunger thing. When we exercise hard we are naturally going to have more hunger. Higher calorie expenditure means higher calorie needs. Logically exercising to lose weight won't work for some because I think many people try to work out hard and then stay within the same calorie cap. Waiting for the growl is not as hard as stopping for me. At the growl, I am really hungry and can eat too fast, and then can eat too much. I am doing better for sure. Be careful out there today.

      Delete
    2. There's a school of thought that working out on an empty stomach burns more body fat; I don't think it's ever been proven (or is even prove-able; how would you get two bioidentical subjects and make sure they did the exact same workouts and ate the exact same foods?) and I don't buy it personally. I have tried working out on an empty (overnight) stomach and been miserable and underperforming; I do think we need a small bit of quality fuel enough time before working out so that we can digest and utilize it. And you're right that way too many peoople eat back their calories or under-eat...it really is a lot of trial and error (in maintenance, particularly -- even more so than during loss) to get that understanding of how your own body works. Have a great day, Myra.

      Delete
    3. If I work out in the morning and eat nothing first the emptiness is a distraction for me. I don't do as well because I am thinking about getting to some food. I don't buy the working out on an empty stomach to burn fat thing either. I have also heard working out when it's cold causes you to burn more calories because the body is exercising and warming itself. Walking right after a meal because the body is using calories for digestion and walking is another one. Let's see, maybe we could stand on one foot and whistle "Dixie" to get that "burn", that second wind, that endorphin thing :-) Take care.

      Delete
  5. I totally understand the anxiety that comes with the growl! Being that hungry is a very uncomfortable feeling for me. It makes me feel nauseous. I know that it's in my brain, I know that LOTS of people don't even listen and can go much longer without doing something about their hunger. I even know that there are starving children who deal with that feeling as if it were the norm. But for me, it's horrible and something that I should avoid. Or at least that's what my brain tells me. "Do whatever it takes to NOT be that hungry."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. It is so frustrating when I logically know waiting for the growl should be no big deal. But it is. When I am not hungry, I feel so in control and then the empty feeling happens and even though I know a growl is not too far off, it bothers me to wait. What are we going to do with ourselves? Take care.

      Delete
  6. When I am preoccupied and time slips away, sometimes I realize it has been a long time since I ate. And then usually I am a bit nauseated, but not really sick. A bite of anything will help, until I can get to some protein or fruit. After too many times of being caught with nothing in my bag or pocket, I try to keep nuts or a piece of fruit to bridge me to quality food. And I have hypoglycemia, another reason to keep a snack near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a dork Jo because if I know there is something in my purse or car to eat it bothers me until I eat it. You are wise to be careful with your hypoglycemia though. I am glad you have more sense than I do with food in the vicinity. Take care.

      Delete