Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Saturday, August 11, 2012

Sometimes I Sits and Thinks and

sometimes I just sits.

I think one of the best tools at our disposal is staying busy and occupied. I am not naturally active. It is something I have to work at. If I am sitting around and being a slug food problems are on the way and I better get up and at it. I know this all too well. How about you?

I have known people who cannot sit still. Even when sitting things are moving - the leg is swinging, toe is tapping, fingers are drumming. Son #1 will pace around in the kitchen while waiting on something in the microwave. He will search around the house and try to scrounge up a load of laundry so he will have something to do hanging them up and taking them down. We probably have enough wood for 3 or 4 winters in addition to what we sell. He would rather cut, split, and stack wood than eat. He loves doing this and forgets to eat. I have known others who say they forget to eat. Can't relate.

I am wondering if there is anything that would make me forget to eat. OK - I thought about it - NO. I watch the clock although not as much as I used to. I am better at eating intuitively by waiting for the growl although I don't always do this - that is un-intuitive. I am still empty and hollow before the growl and even though I know it won't be much longer I just go ahead. This trumps the intuitive part because by not waiting for the growl it is hard to find full (not stuffed but satisfied). Then there is another challenge to eat slowly because when really hungry it is easy to eat too fast thereby eating too much. Do we eat too fast because we are afraid we will be full and then will have to decide whether or not to leave the rest? That has always been super tough for me - leaving food. I would rather use a small plate with smaller amounts and eat all of it than fill up a dinner plate and then have to decide when to stop. I wonder why that is but it is. Keeping it in perspective, we will be eating again in 4 hours or so. Even if we missed a meal it's not really that long until the next although it would seem like an eternity wouldn't it? If we just eat a small amount each time, our growl will come around more quickly.

I read a study done on rats where two different groups were given the same total calories but one group was given their calories in just 2 or 3 meals and the others had their calories spread evenly over the day in small amounts. The first group gained weight; the second one did not. The conclusion was that our bodies can only deal with so many calories at a time and the rest will be stored as fat. Something to think about.

Take care.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how study you mention in the last paragraph jives with my experience on the Fast-5 eating plan.....(I eat within a 5 hour "window" every day & nothing outside those 5 hours.) Since Feb. 6 I've lost almost 40 pounds but BEST OF ALL, my blood pressure has fallen significantly and remains consistently within the generally-accepted healthy range. Supposedly, just the opposite (storing calories as fat) happens with this eating pattern...and my experience would indicate this to be true.

    By the way, I have to force myself to be active. I could be a "slug" all day. I wish it weren't so. I DO have more energy lately and HAVE found that - fortunately - energy produces energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you have found what works for you and congratulations on the blood pressure. We also don't know what kinds of calories those rats were fed because calories from carbs have a different effect on the body than calories from proteins. Just something interesting to think about. We still have to use our own brains and find our way. I am not one of those "can't sit still" types either - but we're cute don't you think? Take care.

      Delete
  2. Interesting indeed....thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to have you as a follower and your comments are always very complimentary. Take care.

      Delete
  3. This is very interesting indeed and something I definitely will think of, especially when I make it to maintenance. Thanks so much for your lovely comment. It meant a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maintenance will be a challenge but we are up to it. Notice you said "when" I make it to maintenance, not "if". You are such an inspiration to so many with the success that you have accomplished. Take care.

      Delete