Weight loss support with a spiritual element. I will keep you posted on my journey in the hopes that you will join me in becoming the person God wants you to be. Don't worry about being religious. Come as you are.




Monday, August 6, 2012

Raisin Bran Muffins

I was going to answer Rebecca's question about my muffins individually but decided some of the rest of you might like to have it as well. These freeze beautifully and the recipe makes about 4 dozen muffins. I have one for breakfast just about every day.

20 oz. box of Raisin Bran
3 sticks melted butter - I use real butter and keep in mind this fat will be spread over 48 or so muffins
3 c. stevia in the raw or splenda if you prefer
4 eggs, beaten
1.5 quarts buttermilk
5 c. whole wheat flour
6 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. vanilla
walnuts - I use a bunch - I fill the bottom of my chopper about 6 times

400 degree oven    about 23 min.    1/3 c. batter per muffin

This recipe has room for adaptation. I think oats in stead of some of the Raisin Bran would be good. I have had some fiber one cereal on hand before and added that with less Raisin Bran. I have added some water before as the batter was pretty dry - the original recipe called for white flour, wheat flour needs a little more moisture I think with the bran in it.

This is pretty low carb friendly and gives me enough carbs to keep from feeling tired.

Let me know what you think if you try this.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Myra! This sounds very similar to a recipe I use. The batter for mine can be stored in the frig for up to 6 weeks. Do YOU actually make 4 dozen at a time?

    I haven't looked at my recipe, but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't use butter - but oil...and I usually use 1/2 the oil it calls for and the rest I use applesauce. I also cut the sugar called for in half.....

    I think I'll try adding walnuts like you do to yours....This sounds delicious. (I have never used stevia or splenda.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are also called 6 - week muffins because the batter will keep that long. I make all 4 dozen as they freeze beautifully. I put 4 in quart zip-loc bags and get out as many as I want at a time. Four is enough as I have one each morning and they will spoil due to lack of preservatives! I have tweaked it to suit me. Some may be concerned about the butter but I am counting carbs not fat grams. Calories do count however so you need to make these fit your diet choices. The walnuts add protein and good fat which makes these muffins even more satisfying. It is important to me to be satisfied and taste is also a part of that so these work for me. Take care.

      Delete